Receiver recommendations for a pair of RB-81s?

So I'm about to purchase my first ever sound system, and I want to make it a good one. I only want a 2.0 system, no woofer or surround, I'm not too crazy about multiple speakers, and I want them compact. That leads me to think that the Klipsch RB-81 II series should be right for me. The only problem though is that I know NOTHING about amps/preamps/receivers/tubes and whatever else it is that people think is important to make it sound good. So, my question is, what receiver should I get with a pair of RB-81s? I'm looking at the Sony STRDH130 at only $150, that seems really cheap and says it pushes over 100w stereo. But then I look at others such as Harmon Kardon and Denon that run like $500, and they also push 100w each channel (plus channels that I wont use), and they add hdmi and other home theater junk that I will never use. What's the difference between all these amps in terms of audio quality? Will they make my speakers actually sound better? I don't want to pay $300 for extra features that I'll never use, however, if it will minimize distortion, EQ automatically, and just make the whole audio mix much clearer in any way, then I'm interested in paying more. I'm just going to run analog red and white RCA signals into this system, so I don't need any digital capabilities, so I'm hoping that the cheap sony recevier works out. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

DVTW,

Welcome to the forum.

The RB-81II's are very nice and should have no problem bringing you into audio nirvana. Now that Sony you mentioned probably will not do the trick. If you are only going to have a 2-channel setup, may I suggest an affordable integrated amp.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

Cambridge Audio Azur 650A---75 watts/channel true numbers, not inflated like many low/mid level HT receivers.

http://www.spearitsound.com/special.html

Cambridge Audio Azur 650A integrated amplifier, black (List $779) $449 Used

Cambridge Audio Azur 650A integrated amplifier, silver (List $779) $449 Demo

NAD 356BEE---80watts/channel, also very true if not conservative power numbers.

http://www.spearitsound.com/Integrated_Amplifiers-NAD_C356Bee_Refurbished.html

This here Onkyo has gotten rave reviews from top magazines and some on this forum do or have used it to power their 2-channel setups. I have many times considered pulling the trigger to power my RB-5's but ended up having to sell them. This is a great price.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/onkyo-a-9555-new

Bill

Is there a way to set it up "wrong"? As far as I understand, it's just plug in the amp, run cable wire to the speakers, connect the RCA, and crank it. Or am I wrong already?

that WILL work... but it won't work the best that it could be.

did I miss what type amp you have?

Edit: I see it now.

That's a very basic set up but should keep you entertained for some time.

you may have saved a little by buying used, but if you dont want that hassle, just enjoy.

I got each "open box" speaker for $300, and the onkyo for $350 new. It seemed pretty good priced compared to klipsch's direct price.

What would make this a more complicated setup? Like do you mean adding surround and a woofer, or more preamps and stuff? I'm not familiar with the electric components at all, so if something will make this rock even harder, let me know.

well you seem to have some size issues for your speaker choice. certainly you could have gotten a really nice 3 way floor standing speaker in used condition for $600'ish, but if your area isn't that large I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Give the RB's a good listen when you get them and let us know what you think?

What would make this a more complicated setup? Like do you mean adding surround and a woofer, or more preamps and stuff? I'm not familiar with the electric components at all, so if something will make this rock even harder, let me know.

If it was up to me I would have gotten the floor standing speakers, but the Mrs. would hear none of it. I'm limited to bookshelf speakers as long as she shares this living room.

So do I have to calibrate or anything for just a 2.0 setup? I thought it was pretty straight forward in setting up only stereo.

You have the basics right.. Make sure you have the speakers in correct polarity. Don't be afraid to move the speakers closer or further fromthe walls and each other.. Finally, and some might disagree here, give the system a good several hours to settle in.. You should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got them hooked up and watched a movie and put in a few songs. Clarity is amazing, no hiss AT ALL. I didn't have to turn on subtitles to understand the dialogue. I think though I expected there to be a bit more bass. This amp only has bass and treble knobs, and I am running bass up the whole way. It does punch through at higher volumes, but I kind of wanted it to do that at lower volumes as well. Maybe I need a band EQ for this system, I'd like to boost the <80hz. My ears are still getting used to this, maybe I'm just used to bad boomy bass and that's what I expected. I'll give it another week of listening.

You might want to play with the positioning of your speakers before adding more hardware. Moving them closer to walls, especially to the corner, will increase the amount of bass you hear. Of course, once you get it in your head that you need a sub you might not be happy until you do.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm gonna add a sub to this mix.

Keep in mind the Onkyo A-9555 does not have a sub out or for that matter preouts at all. It is strictly a 2-channel integrated amp.

Onkyo_A9555_Back_1.jpg

It is still possible to add a subwoofer. This link will explain how.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7396842_connect-subwoofer-onkyo-a_9555.html

Is the Klipsch SW-308 a good sub for $550 new?

The SW-308 does not have speaker level inputs.

Klipsch-SW-308-Noir_D_1200.jpg

Unless someone knows how to connect a subwoofer to the tape outs, speaker level is the only way I know of.

Bill

I think I'm going to return these RB-81s. They're great speakers, but they need to have a sub accompaniment. I've talked with the wife, and now she's sorta OK with floor standing speakers, after I explained that they aren't any wider, just taller. I think I'll get the RF-82s. Two more 8"s should add some woomph. Hopefully this onkyo amp has enough power.

If you are looking for more bass, the Heritage line/KLF series is a nice way to go. The 82's are a truely nice speaker also, but will it deliver the type of bass you want? I feel the 8in woofer is the smallest size for systems without a sub. I think an avr with a sub is always a nice option to have. There are small subs that can fit any room to make a system much better. The Heritage line have large woofers compared to most of the other series. This is why they are able to get good performace without a sub. The RF 7's and 83's are also more of a stand alone speaker but have a larger price tage and footprint.