Cowboy Junkies

Rivernuggets

Saw them last night for the first time, at one of the best sounding venues here in Madison, The Majestic. Used to be a vaudeville theater, then a movie theater, dance club, now...live shows.

They played two sets with a small intermission, no opener. I always bring ear plugs to shows but didn't need them for this one. Very nice balance between the instruments and her. Easy to hear what everyone was doing.

Highly recommended. Her voice is great.

post-34666-13819711742186_thumb.jpg

post-34666-13819734457782_thumb.jpg

post-34666-13819764416518_thumb.jpg

post-34666-13819791216636_thumb.jpg

I always loved Margo Timmins voice as well. The male lead also has a great voice (Michael or Peter Timmins?) Kind of a family affair I guess. It seems like somewhere I read the male lead singer now spends most of his time at home enjoying life and concentrating on making bread (the kind you eat).

If they put the show on the road they can make the spendable kind of bread in my opinion. Hope I get the chance to see them. I personally would like to see more songs that highlight Margo's voice. Just in case they read the Klipsch forum [Y]

I have only been listening to them for a fraction of their long career, but she is on every song of the 4 cds I own. Hmm

After I finished listening to what I had on the TT and posted this I was inspired to find my old CD of Black Eyed Man and played that. As I was listening I was thinking to myself , man she's on every one of these songs. After you posted this I started questioning my recollection.

Then it dawned on me.... I was thinking of the Crash Test Dummies. Oops! Ellen Reid is the voice I felt was a little under used in that band. At least both bands are from Canada, I got that right.

I was thinking of the Crash Test Dummies.

No worries. I was imagining (and building up the coolness of) an album with Michael Timmins taking a turn at vocals. That lasted a few seconds.......I still would choose Margo. [H]

She's the interpreter of all his dark material, and does it so well.

I also just started to listening to them.Margo Timmons has the most haunting type of vice I have ever heard.One thing, I do not ever remember them playing any where near me. I guess since this is a fairly recent show maybe they will be appearing at avenue near me sometime soon.

I really like these guys too; even though I own a few of their CDs I only really listen to The Trinity Session however...

They would be great to see live. I checked out their website (http://latentrecordings.com/cowboyjunkies/tour/) and they list the remaining tour dates. I live in MA so the closest for me would be Plymouth NH in Aug. Lots of Canadian shows though!

Guest davidness

I love the Cowboy Junkies, and the Trinity Revisted LP is the best sounding LP I own, and I own hundreds (I even bought a second copy of the LP that is still in shrink wrap for the future). If you haven't checked out their music, do so.

The book on the Trinity Sessions was it was recorded in real time around a stereo array of microphones, with no overdubs and what have you. Then it came out the engineer couldn't get Ms. Timmons' voice loud enough, so they gave her a Shure SM-58 and ran it through a small guitar amp. You can get great sound in all sorts of unexpected ways.