Best power amps for corners and belles (mid 1980s vintage)

RobRob

N.E.I.

Not enuff information.

I assume "corners" are Klipschorn; yes, no, maybe

I thought perhaps this was a three channel set up with KHorns and a Belle center but 'belles' is plural so it must be at least a 4.0 system but we are posting in the 2 channel forum [*-)]

I wonder if its for a gymnasium sized barn or a 10 x 12 room?

This hobby is largely based on subjectivism. Someone might recommend something absurdly expensive, which you buy, and then you decide you don't like. You appear to have chosen a path (with the Sonos equipment), and I recommend you follow through, and then report back to the rest of us what you think about it!

Okay, so yes, in a small livingroom room (maybe 10X15) I have klipschorns and in a family room I have belles. I bought a peachtree iDAC to power the corners, but more to get the DAC. I use the Sonos to access the music files on my computer and run them through the peachtree. I also play vinyl occasionally. What I am looking for is an upgrade to the power supply, and was thinking i would buy a power amp and use the peachtree as a preamp. I have always heard that tube amps are preferred for these types of speakers but don't know anything about them.

In the family room, at the moment I am using a different Sonos unit to power the belles and access the music files. it was a stopgap measure until I could upgrade the power supply. I also use the belles for TV speakers.

Hope this sets more context!

Yeesh. When I started thinking about this, I figured I would be willing to spend maybe as much as $1000 to $1500 per room. I could talk myself into going higher, but the incremental value would have to be obvious to me. I obviously have talked myself into buying expensive components in the past, but I would not call myself an audiophile and I am not someone who reads tech reports on components or makes this an obsessive hobby (this is not a negative comment...I have other obsessions!)

I dunno. Sonos for streaming, not obsessive, not an "audiophile". Maybe he doesn't want the inconvenience of tubes?

RobRob, you understand that a tube amp takes awhile to warm up after you turn it on before it's ready to play tunes?

Just trying to make sure we get the trade-offs out there.

Lou

• Like 1

you understand that a tube amp takes awhile to warm up after you turn it on before it's ready to play tunes?

I can use my tube gear after 3 minutes or less. After 15 its really fine. Late at night, all the music sounds better.

I've replaced one rectifier and one preamp tube in my Merlin in the past five years. I've not replaced anything in the Moondogs, although I'm thinking maybe it's about time. [;)]

Bruce