Pre-Wiring during construction of house - need advice

TurboGen

Where you run RG6 for a sub, you might even run 12 AWG speaker wire as well in case you go DIY later on and the amplifier is no longer with the sub. My wiring was accessible, but I swapped out coax for 12 AWG when I switched to a THT sub.

Where you run RG6 for a sub, you might even run 12 AWG speaker wire as well in case you go DIY later on and the amplifier is no longer with the sub. My wiring was accessible, but I swapped out coax for 12 AWG when I switched to a THT sub.

On that topic, perhaps even running an empty conduit all the way around the room, in case you add a second sub or change its' placement. The same conduit could be used if some day you decide on a 12.2 system or something.

I didn't think about running anything extra for future upgrades... I think with the size of the room, I won't go further than 7.2. I will be setting it up for 7.1 system.

I have a question though, what about HDMI cable for a future projector? Where should I shop for a cable about 20+ feet long? Is there a specific cable to use or a place to buy this? Thanks!

Ok, so I should really just get the best deal on an HDMI cable for the footage I need?

Cuz I remember paying $130 for the top of the line monster Cable that was only 6' lol. So I feel cheated now. However I kno I can send that cable in for a free upgrade if they come up with a better cable.

All I can say is never buy monster cables again. There was a $20 cable that was 25 feet long on amazon that will work just as well. There are plenty of articles out there discrediting the super expensive hdmi and other cables, like this one. If you can take that cable back and get your money back, definitely do. And it looks like I was wrong, there are actually cl2 and cl3 rated HDMI cables available for in the wall routing. Check out monoprice, they have a whole slew of HDMI cables so you should be able to find what you are looking for.

My only word of advice (speaking from experience) is:

No matter how much you plan, plan, and plan... you will leave out something or wish you had done something differently. Don't let it get you down... It happens to most all of us. Boxx

I concur with those saying plan extra wire. 15 years ago I had my house built and strung wires from the loft to the basement. Have moved speakers 3 times and ultimately had to splice [:(] due to not enough length. Have extra. It is unkown what you may want to do in 10 or 20 years.