Looking for Fostex FE103s

I'm looking for used Fostex FE103s. I built a pair of rear loaded horns (see http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/56563.aspx?PageIndex=1).

I want to try them in the existing enclosures and I want to build bass reflex encclosures simiar to Tekton Design 4.1s. I know the Fostex FE103en is available from Madisound, and I have several RS 40-1197s. I'm looking for used older FE103s.

• 3 weeks later...

You rang the nostalgia bell for me. I used several FE-103s as midranges in direct-radiator projects early in my career. They are fine up until about 5 KHz and then they go into break-up. I measured their Fs some years ago and found it was about 75 Hz, very decent for a 2 1/2 inch cone. I had some in various boxes for as long as 20 years. The surrounds, being impreganted cloth, don't crumble like foam but they slump and lose elasticity.

Having said that, I would suggest you contact Bruce Edgar. He had experimented with those and might have a line on someone with NOS units. As you already know, Radio Shack sold zillions of those as the 40-1197.

I don't wanna change your mind but I suggest to use Philips AD-5061 M4 which goes from 0.07 khz to 20 khz with 95.585 db@ 1w/1m ... You might find NOS ones in local stores for half of 103 money but they sound good as hell in fe103's enclosure

take a look here if you'd like:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/211407-philips-ad-5061-back-loaded-horn.html

"Philips AD-5061 M4"

An incredible driver, I wish I still had a case or two on hand. Copper cap on the pole piece, great as a full-range, even better as a midrange.

Does anyone know of a similar driver available today?

It's getting along pretty fine. we got this Philips NOS here for a nice price. they sound freakin' good ... we are just amazed... you won't believe, a friend of mind put one of these behind a wooden tractrix horn with 5" throat (made in himseld) and put it on his Altec Model 19 and he thinks there has been an improvement in the sound!

I'm gonna use it in some newer version of enclosures like Kongo.