How big must I go?

jakja83

Hi guys!

I am about to start building my own home theater in my basement and I have a room that i 3.5 x 6.6 meters i size. (11.5 feet x 21)

I have been told Klipsch Reference-series are the best speakers for HT , but I am unsure of how big mains and center I will need to really get enough dynamics and headroom. I have gotten a price on a package containing RF52IIs, RC52II and RS42IIs and the price is good, but will they have enough power and headroom when I am watching e.g. Transformers and I want to crank it up a bit more?

Any help is appreciated.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. Best suggestion I can give you is try and find a local dealer so you can listen to the speakers for yourself to determine what will meet your needs. That is something that is very subjective and none of us can really answer for you. My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings and I'm really glad I went with the RF-83 system. I definitely have no desire to upgrade.

Since you mentioned transformers, I am guessing you enjoy the low frequency sounds and bass. If that's true, I don't think that system would be able to deliver to your satisfaction, especially without a sub. I am with Youth, make sure you go demo before you buy. Klipsch is known to be a little fatiguing to some people but amazing to others. There are a pair of RF-83s on audiogon.com for a pretty good price. I've bought from the seller before, and he was extremely helpful. I am sure he would be happy to let you demo them. They might be more than you wanted to spend, but would offer you very good bang for your buck. The best thing about home theater is you can buy one thing at a time and eventually get the system you really want, without wasting money on 'upgrade fever' and 'what if's'.

im a big proponent for speakers with 8" drivers in them especially with klipsch. The rf-82 II home theater setup would perform great and would really give you the headroom i think you are looking for. The rf-62 II home theater system has a pretty good low end and a lot say the they sound like the 82's but i still find the performance from the 82's definitly surpasses that of the 62's. The soundstage produced by the 82's is more than adequate for your size room.

You could always consider the rf-7 II system but that is jumping into a whole different league IMO and is a system for a true enthusiast.

A good quality subwoofer is also a must if you really want an explosive low end. Don't feel compelled to buy a klipsch sub either as you dont need to timbre match that. Klipsch makes good subs (the higher end ones) but myself and a lot of others find their price/performance to be a bit off and you could get better performance for a better price from other brands like HSU Research, Emotiva, SV Sound, Rythmik Audio and Elemental designs. These brands offer a great value because they are internet direct companies. You can also check out Sunfire Subwoofers and Velodyne too. Overall though you have tons and tons of options for subs.

A good receiver or a receiver/preamp processor and amplifier combo is also a necessity. There are tons of receivers out there and many people use them. For those like myself, a receiver just doesnt cut power wise it when it comes to our main setups and we have gone the processor/power amplifier route. Yoou have a lot of options.

Where abouts are you located and what is your budget?

I live in Europe and budget and prices here are quite higher than in the US.

I am currently thinking the RF62II + RC62II is a good place to start. I feel the RC52 center speaker looks a bit small for a big room.

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it greatly.

the rc-52 ii isnt matched to the rf-62 ii. the rc-62 ii is matched to both th rf-62 ii and the rf-82 ii and should be quite sufficient to fill your room with good sound. The rc-64 II is mated strictly for the rf-7 II's so it isnt really an option (as a side note).

We will all tell you, the upgrade bug sucks. Since you are already shelling X amount out for the towers and already getting a center that would be matedt to a larger tower, it may be beneficial to pull the trigger on the larger towers. You can get surrounds at a later date and the sub/s as well. With the surrounds, you can get actual dedicated surrounds (sole purpose is to be a surround speaker) or you can use more towers or bookshelfs to complete the setup. These should also be timbre matched but that is not as important as having the front 3 speakers timbre match. Just try to get speakers from the same line ie. synergy, reference, palladium etc. The cost difference in europe may be so profound that upgrading doesnt make sense but in the US its close enough that it makes sense in my opinion

Definitely check out the used market on Audiogon / Craigslist / Ebay / Emotiva forums / Klipsch forum Garage Sale section. Klipsch speakers have a very robust secondary market and it doesn't make sense to pay full price most of the time. If you are patient, you can build an amazing system for half price or better. If you do decide to buy new, never pay full price. Find the lowest internet price and haggle with your dealer. Also, make sure you keep the original boxes / owners manuals / receipts as this will help with resale if / when you want to upgrade.

The 62's would do nicely as a start. If you ever do decide to upgrade, they would be pretty good for rear-surrounds or surrounds. They might still not be as much as you want on the low-end from your fronts, but a good sub would always make up for that as well.

You also might want to check out the Icon V series as well. They might offer you exactly what you are looking for at the right price. I had a pair of VF-35s for about 3 years and was always extremely pleased with them. I thought they were worth every cent at full retail.

• Moderators

I feel the RC52 center speaker looks a bit small for a big room.

If you have a big room, do yourself a favor and do not skimp on the center channel. It's one of the most important speakers for HT. The RC-52 has never impressed me. The RC-62 is a much better speaker IMO.

I feel the RC52 center speaker looks a bit small for a big room.

If you have a big room, do yourself a favor and do not skimp on the center channel. It's one of the most important speakers for HT. The RC-52 has never impressed me. The RC-62 is a much better speaker IMO.

With that said, I did a lot of side by side testing between the RS-62 and RS-52 when I bought and could not notice any difference in sound quality in the surrounds. IMHO, you can certainly save some money in the surround department as these speakers just don't get much of a workout.