An honest HSU question...

hwatkins

Ok folks, some may remember I am torn on the sub quest. The issue is WAF - preference is a cube - and HAF (Husband) hearing the virtues of towers.

Comments on the HSU cubes please vs. Klipsch and comparable price points. Dr. Hsu recommends a tower for my setup and budget - originally in the $800 range.

I will finally make my move on this w/in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance and I will post my thoughts when in place and SPL'd. Will be either a HSU, Klipsch or SVS.

------------------

Hwatkins

I am incredibly sorry to say this, but Klipsch speakers don't hit the soft spot, not at this price range.

The RSW subs are excellent, but very expensive (too expensive) and the KSW subs are not a good buy in my opinion, unless you listen to a lot of boomy techno music.

I would hesitate between HSU and SVS, and would probably go with SVS simply because of hearsay and reputation, and because SVS owners gave so much to this community (especially Tom) that I'd like to give back some. An offering by HSU may be a good choice as well, I don't know, haven't really looked.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Where do you get HSU's anyway?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

HSU can be seen and purchased online at www.hsuresearch.com

I recently bought the HSU electronic crossover which is an excellent piece of gear for the money -- so I know these folks can engineer. My main problem with the subs is that the driver is at the top, making the units kind of top heavy (bad if you have kids or pets), there is no grill (protection) for the driver, and they are also engineered to be placed as close to your sitting position as possible -- versus corner loaded (placement).

The most performance for the money is SVS. This is not even open to debate.

For $800 you can get the big one in the powered version with the built in crossover. It will roughly give you the output of two 1000 watt cubes. I am not kidding.

It may have a low WAF, and my wife said it looked like an "ugly water heater" -- but after she heard it she actually preferred it to both the Boston Acoustics PV1000 and Klipsch LF10 I used to have (both high powered cubes with passive radiators).

Don't play around and do what I did -- which was buy three different subs and lose over $1000 before I finally did what I should have done in the first place.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

Great advice as always.

Confirmed my position - If cube it will be HSU, If Tube it will be SVS. Second reply from the good Doctor focused on VtF-3.

I will make call in next three weeks, wait for delivery and hopefully give a glowing result review regardless of my choice. Thanks to all for input.

------------------

Hwatkins

good luck getting an unbiased opinion about HSU at this forum. you have people who do not own HSU and have never listened to VTF-3 talk about how it will compare. you can look at my post below to see initial impressions about HSU VTF-3 and they are so happy. even the HSU tubes can easily keep up with other tubes, read the review on the 1220 from HSU at his website

This message has been edited by Zeke1122 on 05-31-2002 at 07:46 AM

Ok Friends - this is too much like Klipsch converations - we know their faults, but we love them anyway. Not just to be different, but because the klipsch speakers have an 'identity' that we like. Their strengths match our desires. Their weaknesses are of little consequence.

I think that is the same with HSU and SVS. Just like Klipsch, both company's souls are in their founders, their sound is a personal thing. Both HSU and SVS remind me of my college days in Arkansas, and knowing that getting some of PWK's stuff you were getting a piece of his soul - something that sounded so very good to him and his hoping that it had a broader appeal. There is no mistaking that personal touch - therefore (especially with all the highly emotional Kudos for each) I am convinced that either HSU or SVS will be a work of art. Further, I will have to see which one touches my soul.

Enough of a liberal flashback - we now return to our regularly scheduled Republican love fest (Thank God for Ashcroft covering that sculpted female genitilia at the Justice Dept. Does that mean he would have to come out covered by a sheet since he is such a big Pr**K?).

------------------

Hwatkins

"even the HSU tubes can easily keep up with other tubes, read the review on the 1220 from HSU at his website"

While the best performing box subwooefrs for the dollar are the HSU VTF-2 and VTF-3,SVS cylinder subs outperform HSU cylinder subs.And I am no SVS worker,I had many heated debates with Tom from SVS as many know.

So biased I am not.Lets be realistic here HSU has nothing to oppose the Ultra or SVS SS.The output king is still SVS.

Agree or not better subwoofers are being made, then SVS or HSU.Like it or not,if price is not an object WHISE and Krell have products that deliver way more output and even better quality sub bass,but at a huge price increase.

Aerial,Velodyne,Revel,REL and JBL also make great quality and high output subs.

And the best tiny subs with real low bass output the Sunfire outperform any microsubs(Velodyne included).The LF-10 and Boston PV1000 are both slaughtered by the Sunfire Mark IV,and throw in the Sunfire Sig and its a massacre.

Remember the Sunfire Signature can give 117dB at 31.5Hz!Per cubic inch its THE most powerful sub you can buy.Period Most larger subs(single unit here)cant claim this,not even on paper. LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

reading the reviews on the HSU site, the HSU 1220, 250 watts, has 110 db at 20Hz. So i can get two 1220's and 500 watts for almost the same price as one Ultra and 500 watts, and the two 1220's and 500 watts give me almost 120 db at 20Hz, for sure more output than one Ultra

theEAR-

Hit the nail on the head - both from a Specs perspective and user reviews, I am convinced - Cubes from HSU or tubes from SVS in my price range. This is heavily weighted on user/comparative reviews (including the highly disclaimed tube reviews on the HSUReseach site). We'll just have to see.

Zeke-

Let us know how your Klipsch's and HSU subs sound together. Should make for interesting reading.

Foresthump-

Glad you could throw in your two cents on my parting attempt at humor. As usual you went straight for the more meaningful part of the message.

To all- regardless of the degredation that this subject seems to fall into, it is important to some of us to gleam meaningful information. We are in the market to purchase and are looking to experienced opinions. I have pulled that meaningful info and formed my options.

I am out of this thread and ya'll should let it rest as well -

------------------

Hwatkins