Heritage Care (or help me HDBR)

kev313

To HDBR or anyone that can help,

I have a pair of fortes and cornwalls both with oiled walnut finish. The problem is I live in a largely un- air conditioned apt. What can I do to my speakers to preserve them during the upcoming hot and vey humid summer weather?

Thanks!

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

Just keep the speaker cabinets oiled...whenever they lose that lustre and feel dry to the touch, give em a dab of oil. Be sure to listen to them on occasion...speakers that sit idle in humid environments begin to have troubles. Not much more one can do than these things.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

and sometimes the most obvious answers are right in front of your face...thanks michael, i honestly did miss one of the easiest solutions.

HDBR, what is your preferred brand of oil or other wood conditioning product??

By the way, thanks for the responses guys!

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

I'd like to give two observations.

I've used furnature oil from True Value on my Forte II pair. Well enough. It seems to be just mineral oil (light motor oil) with some color and fragrance. I put on a coat once per weekend for four weekends.

Glossy at the start. But it seemed to me that it evaporates away after a few days. Now maybe there is some residue which remains because I do see some water beading. (Inadvertent spill.) Bottom line here is that I think it did some good, but not too much. Maybe just enough. Maybe.

A buddy got me some "Casey Gunstock Tru-oil Finish" and used it on top of a Quartet. I have no doubt this is a thinned varnish which will build a finish. The directions read like that for a wiping varnish. The numbered paragraphs on the bottle read as follows.

1. Remove old finish if present.

2. Sand to smooth wood and remove scratches and with the grain and remove all sanding dust.

3. Apply oil directly from bottle - use your finger or a cloth. Spread evenly and with the gain. Allow to dry thoroughly - at least 2 hours.

4. Buff lighly with 00 steel wool.

5. Repeat 3 and 4 until grain is filled and the desired finish is obtained.

6. Apply Birchwood Casey's Gun Stock Wax for extra beauty and protection.

There has been some traffic that the Klipsch factory uses Tru-oil. I can't confirm. I e-mailed Trey in Cannon in December for recommendations for care and got no reply. Perhaps it is delicate issue.

The point is, if you use Tru-oil at home, you are more dealing with putting on successive coats of a thinned varnish finish. The full name of the product says "finish".

It may well be worthwhile. Just know what you're getting into.

Maybe someone can comment on wax. If you're in a situation where there might be a spill or a glass with condensate it can provide protection.

Regards,

Gil

That Birchwood-Casey Tru-oil Gunstock Finish is NOT an OIL for oiled speakers, it is a FINISH...that provides a permanent coat over the wood...in the same manner that shellac or laquer or varnish would provide a finish.

Birchwood Casey's line of gunstock products is all called the "Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil" line...and that can be confusing.

Just plain "Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil" is what you are looking for......

Gunstock OIL is basically a mixture of boiled linseed oil and such that is absorbed into the wood to provide a lustre and a bit of water-protection...This is what you need for an oil-finish speaker cabinet...if you decide to go with a gunstock oil.

DO NOT CONFUSE THE TWO!! It is easy to do so!!

The gunstock wax is just a product to apply over a gunstock FINISH...NOT AN OILED GUNSTOCK...just as wax is applied over furniture that is laquered...it adds some waterproofing protection to a FINISH such as laquer, shellac, etc...DO NOT USE WAX OVER AN OIL!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-01-2002 at 10:29 AM

Gil,

I imagine that there may just not be enough demand for a consumer-sized gun-stock oil package from Birchwood Casey anymore...very seldom does one see a plain oiled walnut stock with no finish on it anymore...at least I HAVEN'T seen any offered on anything in the last few years...just another trend of the consumer to not want to have to hassle with oiling a stock on a gun anymore, I guess!!

I bet you could go to any good Gun dealer and get some oil though...especially ones who carry old military rifles from WWII era and earlier. Matter of fact, at gun shows one can often find sealed gallon cans of mil-spec surplus boiled linseed oil for gunstocks!!

Linseed oil IS NOT mineral oil, for those who don't realize that, but it is from the flax plant...same plant true linen cloth is from!!

Yes, I am a gun nut too...LOL! And I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon than with a can of Belgian surplus FN manufactured 30-06 target-grade boat-tail spitzer ball ammo and a early M-1 Garand laying in the prone supported firing position on the firing line...or maybe a nice Springfield 03-A1 with C-type stock and original ladder-type long range sights...great for target work!! Gotta love them fine peep apertures on those sights for target work!!! Sure make for a nice dime-sized(or smaller) three-shot group at 100 yards!!! AND...NEVER EVER LET YOURSELF BE ONE TO DISCOUNT a nice model 96 Carl Gustaf or Husquvarna 6.5x55 Swede military Mauser or a Swiss model 1911 7.5mm straight-pull...two of the most accurate repeaters ever made!!! For the Swede's accuracy, just ask the ghosts of all those Russians who were in battalians decimated by the Finnish ski-troop platoons using them for sniper rifles in 1939!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-02-2002 at 12:32 PM