A new journey begins on Cloud 9

derrickdj1

I woke up this morning and logged on to the forum. I usually log on in the afternoon. I looked in the garage sale and seen RF 7's in mint condition. For some odd reason I suddenly wanted them, lol. Ten minutes later I was talking to the seller. I was the first call of inquiry for him. After a short conversation, I was in my car driving to Detroit. I kept second guessing myself on the way to Detroit. He had the speakers next to some large, 10/10 KLF 20's with 4 pretty Sansui tube amps in his system. I thought, good, at least I will hear them in a proper setup. I had him play some Dave Koz and Sade on both set of speakers. I was in heaven soon as Sade started to sing Soomth Operator. Now the RF 7's have a new home[:D].

Thank Ivan. I am to tired tonight, I will post pic's in the AM. Now I need help with setup. What distance apart for the speakers, how close can they be to the wall, and will they work with front height speakers. I will check out the RF 7owners thread tonight.

• Moderators

I looked in the garage sale and seen RF 7's in mint condition. For some odd reason I suddenly wanted them, lol.

I believe it might have something to do with you logging into this forum (aka "Your Walle'ts Black Hole"). LOL

CONGRATS on the purchase! You will truly love the 7's. Fantastic speakers, very detailed, "in your face". Just an all around great speaker. I love mine.

After you get some rest, we wanna see pics.

I agree, this hobby can get expensive. I like the 7s and have done some initial tweaking of the 7s into the current system. The first thing to point out is there is no timber matching problems or trouble with the center channel dialogue. The SC 35 seems to have EQ things pretty well. The system has a different character, mainly in the bass department. I will give a small review of my impression of the 7s, VF 36 and MCACC after I spend some more time with things. I am finding the the pre- amp has a great deal of control on how well the synergy is between the speakers and room. I am not sure how I will use the 7's, 2 channel setup or grow a reference HT. I could move a reference HT setup upstairs or downstairs, just not sure where I am going with things for now.

I believe a good rule of thumb is think of them as yourself as 3 points in a triangle and then try and get that triangle as close to as equilateral (all points the same distance from eachother) as possible. I also think you need a good 2 ft. from the wall and toed in slightly.

I think i was caught in the same boat as you. I was plenty happy with my VF-35's and was pretty much completely out of the HT scene. And than one day I was a little bored at work and decided to check out Audiogon to see what some of the Klipsch stuff was selling for and seen a very nice pair of RF-83's, and than freaked out when the zip code looked familiar. Decided to drive 3 hours to have a listen because I used to visit Klipsch.com and lust over them. I just got a decent job and had some money saved up for nothing in particular, and decided I had to have them.

What I didn't realize at the time was how much more I was going to have to spend to catch the rest of my system up to do them some justice. Looking back though, I don't think I would have done anything different, and I am very happy with my purchases, and I hope you are too!

I finally heard the harshness and shrill that some people talk about with Klipsch. I was listening to one of the pre-sets that was not MCACC balanced. I always felt that Klipsch's get a bad rap on that point. The speakers have to be setup right with a good pre-amp, room correction and EQ to the room and other speakers. The 7s and different than the VF 36. But, the Icon V series strengthen by thoughts on the quality of the V series.