5 Center Channels?

King2012

Hey guys, I started work at an AV store about 5 months ago and have been eying up Canton and Klipsch speakers for awhile now. I decided I was going to go for the rf-62, rc-62, rb-61. But when I told my bossI wanted to order them he said he has 5 Rc-62 II in his basement theatre room that he's not using. He said he would give them to me well below cost, not sure what price is yet.

How will having 5 center channels sound in comparison to a proper setup?

Also running a 12" DEQ Velodyne Subwoofer, and right now just a basic Pioneer VSX - 521 Receiver. Will be upgrading th amp soon just not this month, looking at Yamaha RX-A810.

Thanks guys, got a lot of good info on here already.

it would sound just fine/great

the RC62 has the same drivers as the RF62 just a smaller cabinet and less bass responce. But with a sub that is not a problem because you will have them crossed over at 80hz probably anyway.

I say go for it assuming your space will let you utilize them properly

There are reviews that state the sound of a typical center (mid/tweeter/mid) puts out the best sound in vertical position vs horizontal.

real question is why would he have not 1 but 5!!! in a theater room not being used?

your going to narrow your listening field assuming you have them vertical, if you put them all horizontal I imagine they would all sound the same [;)]

if you can mount or lift these all off the ground to the same height around or near your ear level and the deal is GREAT I say go ahead...but your going to have no low end period, so this means your really going to have to spend some coin on a fantastic sub or maybe 2, then tell him if you buy his setup he will have to cut you a at cost deal on 2 sw-115's [6]

if your boss gets stuff below cost anyway I'm suprised he didn't get 5 tower speakers instead...

I would do it in a flash. It's going to be like having 5 book shelf speakers with a extra woofer. Or book shelf speakers on steroids?? I think your sun should pick up the sub 80hz just fine. You can always get another sub or a bigger different sub. I wouldn't pass this deal

... How will having 5 center channels sound in comparison to a proper setup? .

There were people who seemed to do it effectively with RC-7s several years ago but the concern came up that with the "tapered array" technology where the 2nd LF driver didn't engage until a certain frequency was hit, which makes it different than the comparable towers...I noticed that Klipsch doesn't use that terminology but heard that the Klipsch Center Channels are still made that way...Something to consider and welcome to the forum.

the newest reference line centers do not use this anymore - both woofers play the same frequencies. if anything I do think the tapered array makes more since than not in a center because it should help avoid some of the frequency cancelations.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get them and post up how it sounds. He's actually got 5 because that's what he was running for sound before his kids toys took over the theatre room.

Also I'd love to sell them and upgrade. But I don't think he'd look too kindly on me profiting off of him. :P. I'm sure it will sound great, also my velodyne has a lot of power. I think it will be alright, but if not I'll have to wait until I upgrade my amp to get another. Only have a 5.1 amp right now. If I do run 2 subs should they be very similar or does it matter if they are a different brand?

the newest reference line centers do not use this anymore - both woofers play the same frequencies. ...

Fwiw, the RC-62II doesn't use the trademarked "Tapered Array" design but the RC-64II does.

EDIT: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/160456/1700118.aspx#1700118

Hi Folks,

I couldn't find the answer to this question on the forum so I contacted Klipsch support. I thought I'd share the response in case others have the same question (see below).

"Hi Neal,

The RC-62 II is not tapered array as the previous
RC-62
The only center in the current Reference series
that is a tapered array is the RC-64 II