SVS PB13-Ultra

gsxr1000

Just got my 13ultra. The finish is beautiful.

I'm having issues with my Denon 4308. It's like the Denon is not sending a strong enough signal to the sub. I ran audessy and it barely made any noise. In the manual settings it also hardly rumbles. It should be shaking down the house. I hooked up my old receiver to test the sub to rule out any sub issues. The sub works, my cord is fine, so it has too be the Denon. The SW out plug is not loose so I'm not sure. Everything else on the receiver works fine. I messed with all the settings as well so I'm thinking it's got to be the SW out on the Denon. I guess I need to find a shop that can test it out for me and repair it if need be.

A couple pictures...

post-27256-13819737771442_thumb.jpg

post-27256-13819768430172_thumb.jpg

post-27256-13819795412962_thumb.jpg

Sweet lookin sub you got there =^)

I had this problem when I first ran audyssey on my 4311. When I first ran it, it said the sub (SW-115) was turned up too high and it had me turn it down to 75db at the LP, which was at about 8-9 o'clock on the dial. Then I ran audyssey, which set my sub level at -3.0db, and watched Jurassic Park. There was really no bass at all, so in the end, I just turned the dial up. Maybe the wrong way to go about it, but it sounds how I like it now. Looking back, I probably should have turned the level up in the AVR instead of the dial on the sub, but oh well. I need to run audyssey again anyways...

Sweet lookin sub you got there =^)

I had this problem when I first ran audyssey on my 4311. When I first ran it, it said the sub (SW-115) was turned up too high and it had me turn it down to 75db at the LP, which was at about 8-9 o'clock on the dial. Then I ran audyssey, which set my sub level at -3.0db, and watched Jurassic Park. There was really no bass at all, so in the end, I just turned the dial up. Maybe the wrong way to go about it, but it sounds how I like it now. Looking back, I probably should have turned the level up in the AVR instead of the dial on the sub, but oh well. I need to run audyssey again anyways...

Thanks!

It's not just the audyssey that's not working correctly. Even when I have everything turned way up, the sub is barely working. I plugged it into my old nakamichi receiver and the sub works like it should. I need to have the SW jack on the Denon tested I guess. There is a place close to me that works on receivers so I'll take it their tomorrow.Hopefully it's an easy/cheap fix.

be sure and call the guys at svs and have them help you set it up. they will offer some great advice. unless you dont want to call, me pm me and i will share the info, it is worth it for sure!!

I called SVS after I set it up and they said that it must be something in the receiver.

Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate it! Hopefully it's just the SW jack on the Denon.

I tried the Denon one more time before taking it in. I talked again with SVS and after using a y-splitter and turning the sub way up, it sounds good. The Denon is sending the sub a weak signal but will work for now. I just have to have it turned up pretty high but that's okay. Eventually I will get a new pre-amp

I like using Y-connectors. For some people no improvement but, for others it works. I also like to manually check the sub level with an SPL meter and set the ub 72-74 db. The key point, you should not hear the sub if things are setup correctly. It will sound like all the bass is from the main speakers or just in the room with no localization of the sub. After setting the sub up, adjustment are made via the avr if more volume is desired. A setting is -3 leaves plenty of room for adjustments.

• If you leave one of the RCA inputs open, dirt may get in there.
  • Using a Y adapter may add a few dbs to the subwoofers's output.
  • Some claim that the subwoofer works better at lower levels with the Y-cable.

• The auto-off mode of some older subwoofers (e.g, Velodyne CH-12) may not
    come on at lower levels without the use of a Y-cable.
  • Some older subwoofers may actually need a Y cable because the left channel L
    may not default to mono signal.
  • Another benefit of using a Y-cable at the sub input jacks may be for
    reducing the amount of Radio Frequency (RF) and Electomagnetic (EM)
    interference, because you are not leaving the other input open and active.
    Subwoofers can be affected by annoying buzzes and hums.
Conclusion: Since Y adapters cost a few dollars and there is no
significant risk involved, I would recommend using a Y adapter (2 male, 1
female) at the subwoofer's RCA input jacks. Make sure you use a good quality Y
adapter that is shielded. Otherwise, you may hear hum and noises.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817

The y-adaptor definitely helped out. I also need to do a firmware update on the Denon which may or may not help the weak SW out signal. I still have to have the sub turned up pretty high to get the desired bass.

I just watched the new Underworld and it sounded very good. Lots of good scenes to test out the sub. SVS sure makes awesome subs and their customer service is top notch.