P-38 Emo Monos Two Channel

shake777

Hi Two Channellers, An Audio Club friend, Jimmy, talked me into getting serious about two channel. I heard his Magnepan Dynaco system and was floored. It has this dark, romantic feel with an extremely detailed soundstage, great vocals and midbass. No sub but so what. It took me months to get anywhere near what he has. I did a lot of painstaking critical listening mostly alone and sometimes with my three buddies. It involved a tremendous lot of moving speakers around in small increments, test discs designed for the purpose, and patience. John and Paul (who does reviews on Stereotimes.com) also helped and Paul gave me a detailed review (unpublished), which said I had a good to excellent system and I needed more presence and had some graininess in the vocals. I set to working on it, tried an Audio Illusions Modulus Mark IV tube preamp with limited success. I found that as my two-channel system improved my 7.2 system got better as well. Although I'm giving the Modulus another chance, I think my UMC-1 is adequate and less hassle to switch. Hope you enjoyed reading about my experience, and, as always, I'm open to comments and recommendations. Shake

Great stuff Shake! [Y] Yeah, it takes time to get a system "dialed" in and most importantly patience! yes.gif

I think most of us consider our system a "work in progress", as we're always doing something to try and improve our system. I guess its part of the hobbyist in us and also part of the fun!

Have you treated the room at all? I've found this to make the biggest difference in most systems.

Thanks for sharing your journey into 2 Channel and keep us posted,

Dennie drinkingcheers.gif

Thanks Dennie, The room is going to be worked to the max and tighter than a drum so that my very tolerant wife and neighbors get the quiet they deserve and I get the sonics I want. Right now I'm limited as to what I can do since its all going to change in less than six months. I'll be having an Audio Syndrome (local club) meeting in my home in the fall to get feedback and ideas from some real knowledgeable gents. Still, anything you say is a word to the wise and reinforces what must be done. Shake

Hi shake, I don't have any recommendation but, seeing what you have to work with, it is going to be The Bomb! Beautiful speaker and amplifiers is a great start. Good luck and chime in often with your progress. We all enjoy seeing one of our brothers dream coming true.

• Moderators

Now that's a pile of electronics, the room will be great when it's done, better to take your time and get it right, very nice. [Y]

Great choice on speakers also, I know they sound great, some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard.