Need help picking out drivers for all out Corn-Scala project

Thanks for the replies, Johnny5. Which horn are you using with your B & C DE85TN drivers? I am kicking around the idea of going with a 2 way design using B & C DE750TN drivers mated with the Eliptrack horns that Dave builds, (I believe the Eliptack 400 is the one I am referring to?) along with either 4 of the Dayton Pro-10's or 2 of the Eminance 15's (not sure of which specific Eminance drivers, any suggestions?) Do you think this would be a fairly high performer?

Ok so I am pretty much decided on going with a 2 way design, as I have yet to find a single person who says that they prefer the 3 way design. I will most likely be going with the B&C DE750TN drivers with Dave's Eliptrack horns, and 4 of the same Dayton Pro-10s that Johnny5 is using. I am going to have Dave cut the motorboards and I am going to build the cabinets myself. I am really looking forward to doing this, but, it will be a few weeks before I start. I will definitely take pictures and keep all of you guys updated on throughout the entire process!.

I am just curious as to how you guys feel about the woofers. I am more than likely going to use 4 Dayton Pro-10's just like Johnny5, but I can't help but wonder if those are the best choices? I might look into woofers from Eminance, Seas, TC Sounds, ect.....Heck, I could go with two or maybe even four 12's or 15's! I kind of want to do something unique and rare. What do you guys think?

I like the Crites 15" AL cast woof , but I like the Original Cornwall bass bin sound anyway & That Woofer fits in very well in my HT with having the dual subs , I run my set-up as a cross of 4o so that I a get a decent slam from the 4 15"ers while the subs bring up the ultra low effects . That combo is very dynamic in my room . But everyones set-up is different as well as their tastes . So what blows my dress up might Not do it for you . :)

Each woofer choice/combo requires changes to cab dimensions to make work... Not a easy change. The 2 that have been done in a single cab are the single 15" with bobs woofer or the 15c and Dave's with 4 10s.

what your saying is it's akin to re-inventimg the wheel ???

If I understand you right , by changing the woofers Or the numbers of woofers the box volume would have to change ??

Guest David H

Here is a comparison of the 4 woofer Prophile box versus my Feauxsplit Cornscala and standard Cornscala.

As you can clearly see the difference in response from the Feauxsplit and standard Cornscala is minimal, and the Split is a smaller box.

The Prophile box doesn't go as low however does have a flatter predicted response.

Dave

post-24405-1381973989877_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381977055935_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819797708484_thumb.jpg

Gothover, are you saying that if I go with the 4 Dayton Pro-10's, that I wont get any additional extension over the standard Cornwall 15? What about additional SPL? Hm...if that is the case then I may very well end up going with the stock Cornwall 15. I just thought that having four 10's would make them dig a little deeper and probably sound a little better for home theater then a stock 15.

Guest David H

Gothover, are you saying that if I go with the 4 Dayton Pro-10's, that I wont get any additional extension over the standard Cornwall 15? What about additional SPL? Hm...if that is the case then I may very well end up going with the stock Cornwall 15. I just thought that having four 10's would make them dig a little deeper and probably sound a little better for home theater then a stock 15.

I am not saying that at all. The 4 Dayton woofers gain approximately 3db and have better bass response to 40hz. They dont go down as low as the 15" but have many attributes that need to be considered. "

I have built several Cornscala's of different shapes and sizes, and all of them sound great. I prefer the bass of the 4 woofer Prophile box however that is purely subjective.

Dave

I am not saying that at all. The 4 Dayton woofers gain approximately 3db and have better bass response to 40hz. They dont go down as low as the 15" but have many attributes that need to be considered. "

I have built several Cornscala's of different shapes and sizes, and all of them sound great. I prefer the bass of the 4 woofer Prophile box however that is purely subjective.

Dave

Dave if I could pick your brain some ,

What are your opinions of the differences between the 4 woof set-up & the typical ( if there is a typical CornSala !? ) I would mean a single stock style spec'ed woof & cab.

in your words of coarse , (not trying to put you on the spot ) I myself can't afford to experiment so it's import to me maybe others your opinion,experiance as some can only do this once ,with a desire to get right the 1st time .

oldtimer 1954 i'm not intending to hijack your thread , sorry :/

Guest David H

What are your opinions of the differences between the 4 woof set-up & the typical ( if there is a typical CornSala !? ) I would mean a single stock style spec'ed woof & cab.

Thats a tought question, but the best explanation I can give is the 4 woofer has quicker tighter bass.

Dave

Thats a tought question, but the best explanation I can give is the 4 woofer has quicker tighter bass.

Dave

You got that right!

My quad bass rocks... The neighbors will confirm.

My old Cornscala's sounded good, but the bass is bloated. The quad 10's are fast and accurate, that is why I chose them.

Craig 73

Having heard both, Id prefer the 4 10s, but very happy to live with the simpler singe 15. The Cornwall/Cornscala (Single cab) is really my fav at the moment. I do with I had the 4 10s but I know Im not missing much but SPL. I believe they are tuned very similarly... IE 42hz - 46hz. Chose either and you will be very happy.

Having heard both, Id prefer the 4 10s, but very happy to live with the simpler singe 15. The Cornwall/Cornscala (Single cab) is really my fav at the moment. I do with I had the 4 10s but I know Im not missing much but SPL. I believe they are tuned very similarly... IE 42hz - 46hz. Chose either and you will be very happy.

Myself I gotta go with the stock cab , footprint is most important due to WAF , I can't take up anymore floor space .. ;)

I'M Jealouse Oldtimer1954 ; I would Love to have that 4 woofer set-up