Portable sound system

snailtrax

If I wanted to set up a portable two channel system with a pair of Klipsch Quartets, "SENSITIVITY:
97.5dB @ 1watt/1meter", and an Ipod, would this little T Amp from Parts Express at 20 watts per channel perform well? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300 What kind of volume could I expect? If not, what would you think would be the minimum watts per channel to get some semi serious volume? Thanks, Bill

• Moderators

That set up will do fine. I sometimes use a Dayton T amp with Heresys and it will provide music for a back yard party just fine.

Yes

I did the same with different speakers, worked great. The T-amp died eventually so I tried something different, a car radio with Cd player, connected to a old battery I had, still using it for outside. I just put it on a little trickle charge sometimes and it works just fine.

Try it out, music sounds great outside.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Glad it worked out, now drag them outside and have fun. I don't know but maby it's the fact that there is little distraction because of the lack of room echos and how it changes the sound, but it just sounds great outside. [Y]

It will get fairly loud, but if you try to crank it too much it will become evident at once. I find that changing the tone controls a bit will allow louder volume without distortion. I'm thinking of trying two 12V batts in series and a larger 24v Tri-Path amp.

It will get fairly loud, but if you try to crank it too much it will become evident at once. I find that changing the tone controls a bit will allow louder volume without distortion. I'm thinking of trying two 12V batts in series and a larger 24v Tri-Path amp.

Have you selected the 24v amp yet? I'd be interested to hear how you like it, too.

I have not. The 12V setup is fine till you want to whump, then it craps out a bit. I am using an old pair of SF1's for my out side set up, but I have used the Lepai (just for grins) with CF3, KG5.2s, KG 3.2's and Chorus. The result has been the same with all. The nice thing about the 25 watt Lepai is that it has seperate bass and treble controls. None of the 24V models I have seen (to date) have them, just a volume pot.