THX Certified Klipsch

tpg

I asked the same question....

I would post the link to the thread but I can't figure out how to get the URL to it. Anyway look for a thread here in General Question with a topic

Questions about Klipsch and movie theaters and THX

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 06-05-2002 at 10:03 PM

Trouble? No trouble at all. cwm1.gif Belive me I do my fair share of question asking without searching first. cwm4.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I am sure that back in the early 1970's when quadrophonic sound first started to enter the stereo realm and some of the speaker companies put "4-channel ready" in their advertising, PWK was asked if Klipsch speakers were "4-channel ready" or "quadrophonic sound ready" and he just handed the asker of the question one of his yellow "bullshit" buttons.....just as he did later on in the early 1980's when home CD players came out and some of the other speaker companies put in their ads "digital ready" and he was asked about whether Klipsch speakers were too!!

I won't go into anymore depth on the subject of this thread than that!!! LOL! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-05-2002 at 11:15 PM

The Klipsch consumer venture into the THX Standards madhouse began in 1994 and ended in 1997. The three Klipsch "Classic" speakers listed on the THX site are the ones discontinued about five years ago. All THX Certification would do for the current line of Klipsch speakers is raise the price dramatically.

THX has made themselves a laughing stock in their rush to collect fees and turn a deaf ear to quality. Rest assured that Klipsch meet and exceed "THX Standards" and that THX has no technology for you to be miss in home speaker systems.

In fact, everybody laughed so hard that Lucas Films sold a 60% interest in THX to Creative Labs (Singapore) who seem quite adept at low end hustling.

Probably due to its commitment to commercial theater companies, Klipsch still maintains "THX Certified" loudspeakers in its professional series. -HornED

quote:

Originally posted by HornEd:

All THX Certification would do for the current line of Klipsch speakers is raise the price dramatically.

THX has made themselves a laughing stock in their rush to collect fees and turn a deaf ear to quality. Rest assured that Klipsch meet and exceed "THX Standards" and that THX has no technology for you to be miss in home speaker systems.

And that's too bad because from what I understand of all this, it had created a standard that everyone was trying to work with. I for one am a standards kind of person. I like them makes things in software development much easier.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I agree, m00n... particularly from the software developer point of view... where layers and layers of different people's code has to work together to get the job done.

Initially, THX helped bring some stability and direction to the industry... but all too soon, Lucas Films' Tom Holman EXperiment became rooted to standards that not only demanded heavy licensing fees but were of questionable value in the upgrade paths of speaker manufacturers.

Some would say that it is easier for the electronics end of audio to live with THX parameters... and to a degree I think they are correct. A standard is only valuable when it does not stand in the way of progress... and from your developer experience, I am sure that you found out that keeping your code compatible with the installed base of yesterday's standard can make it difficult to reach into tomorrow.

I believe that the mixer's art will soon bring us into a new and wonderful era of multi-channel Music and HT far beyond the current ProLogic hangover retro-mixes or the best envelopment heavy hand of dipoles that THX Approval demands... in the home... but not in a commercial theater. -HornED

PS: I, too, had high hopes for Lucas leadership in the industry toward meaningful standards... and have been bitterly disappointed with the end game... which includes pushing the quality of sound down to the lowest common denominator... to reap the biggest financial harvest. That puts serious audio folks like you and me (and most Forum members) at a distinct disadvantage.