Which sub with reference series

Matt0013

For my future Rf-3IIs, I will keep my Paradigm PW-2200 that I have set up right in the back of my sofa. The best sonic configuration in MY large concrete basement.

I wouldn't mind adding a second one, though.

Look at SVS and HSU as well.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Matt0013,

I have the Reference 3IIs (RF3II, RC3II, RS3II).

You might want to consider SVS. I bought a 20-39 PCi from them about a month ago. Couldn't be happier with my purchase. Additionally, this company just started a summer sale. These subs are worth every penny in the price-versus-performance category. Even more so now with the summer markdown in prices.

I'm not sure how many or what type of sub(s) you would need, but I am sure a few folks on this forum can help you out in that department. With that, it might be helpful to know what your dimensions are in this basement. Also, where is your focus placed - music or movies. It will help others gauge your requirements.

Ranger

------------------

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Matt0013, which Reference Series speakers do you have? Secondly, we need to know exact size of your basement to give you proper recommendations.

However, whatever the size may be, I would recommend SVS subwoofers. Smile.gif

www.svsubwoofers.com

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

At the risk of sounding redundant, go with an SVS. I run all Reference 3's, and I bought an SVS PCi25-31. Great stuff, especially for the price.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

I have all Reference 7. I am actually using two subs in my setup, a REL Storm III and a Yamaha SW-YST40 (which was leftover from my old system - a surprising capable little sub that actually produces a nice tight, clean bass). I really like my REL subwoofer, but those things do not come cheap, but man that is some of the cleanest bass I have ever heard! That being said, I'll go with what the others are saying here and definitly check out the SVS line. They appear to have some really nice subs for the price.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Its easy to just say SVS.Yes SVS gives you plenty of output fper dollar,yes SVS makes quality subs.

There are other options too...

Velodyne HGS15 and 18,as clean as a sub gets.Cleaner then SVS,yes sir.

Sunfire Signature,just one of these tiny cubes will fill a LARGE room with true sub bass.Down to 30Hz its a monster output sub.

Revel B15,a mighty sub.Great finish,the best EQ on any sub(short of the ubber subs that cost your two arms and the two legs!)plus power(output)to fill the largest rooms.

Aerial SW12...ah just forget it unless you can spend 5 grand(USD please) on a subwoofer!Other then the nasty price its a SVS SS competitor in a gorgeous cabinet with sub bass quality unheard.

JBL Ti-K sub,JBL's best amplified subwoofer by far.Compares well to the monster JBL Pro dual 15" subs in output.Clean sub bass Velo HGS style with more impact!A dream sub,one problem the 5K price tag

Frown.gif

Klipsch RSW15,not bad at all,just like the Sunfire Sig.,starts to weaken and fast below 30Hz.Above 30Hz its a very power ful unit.Well yes a sub this size should give more deep sub bass output(below 30Hz).

SVS CS-Plus,Ultra and SS.All great subs for a song(besides the not so budget SVS SS/Crown amp).Value kings,best sub bass output for the dollar.Best pick in many cases.

M&K 350THX, a great sub.Clean,clean and so damn clean.Just no serious below 25Hz output.Well built too,even if it looks so so in pics,the pictures dont do them justice.A must listen for music

Krell MRS...just joking.Best built,most powerful amps...by far.Most air moved,most output per cubic inch..after the Sunfire SIgnature but expensive as exp

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEAR,

I'm a long time listener, first time caller, to your expertise. A few questions for you:

1) Although we don't know the size of Matt0013's basement yet, will a single version of any sub do that room justice if it is HUGE? The reason I ask is that I see SVS offering subwoofer packages that include two subwoofers. Why the possible need for two? Also, do the SVS CS-Ultra's hang on below 30Hz?

2) How does a novice know the difference between performing well at 30Hz or above, or falling off quickly below 30Hz? Especially if that person (me) has never had a sub before? I'm thinking about getting a pair of RF-7's, an RC-7, and two pair of RCR-5's for the ceiling. My initial thought was to get the RSW-15, but then I thought I would be upgrading by going to the Sunfire Signature. From your response, it sounds like that may not be the case. I'm now leaning towards the SVS...

My room is approximately 6000 cubic feet (if that matters).

Thanks much!

BOSE all the way. You just can't beat that 6" sub in a paper box!!

Many here like SVS, but you might also want to consider DIY if you're trying to fill a large room. I built a dual 15" for about $900 including amp that hits 125+ db. It fills EVERY room in my house.

Check out the HomeTheaterForum under the DIY section. Search for "sonosubs".

Good luck deciding....Mike

JFK,

Will any sub do justice,even if the room is HUUUGE? Yes the Whise 616 and Krell MRS.Unless the owner is deaf and has cold blood in his/her veins.

Now back to planet Earth.

As a realistic choice the SVS SC-Plus is probably the best price performace sub.The Ultra close second

Not all want water heater or oil barrel subwoofers. Then the Revel B15 will be plenty for all but huge rooms.And the Revel can be matched to divine perfection with any speakers/system.

Well flash news the Sunfire Signature works like a charm with RF-7's.Having the RF-7's the Signature adds serious bottom end.And keeps up until my ears start to ask for help.

If you dont mind BIG subs the SVS are a great choice,if you want out of view and still world class output the Sunfire Signature(or two for the one with a castle size rooms)will no doubt do.

TheEAR(s) Now theears