Upping Midrange Micro Detail in LaScala

ClaudeJ1

For those who use a subwoofer with your LaScalas, I highly recommend you get a pair of EVM 15L or 15B woofers. The increase in micro detail in the midrange and the midbass definition will astound you. It's Dr. Bruce Edgar's favoritewoofers for horn loading. I am a fan for sure.

For those without Subs, don't mess with your LaScalas unless you want to add one.

interesting tip...thanks

I remember getting a similar effect when I tried K-43 woofers in my LaScalas years ago..........higher BL product tipped the response upwards and thinned the low end a bit more..........a worthwhile trade IMHO.

So now I have "cheap Scalas"......Peavey FH-1 bins (more solidly built, larger, and superior when modeled in Hornrespt BTW) and did the upgrade there. I was trying to go for an even more extreme BL product and I got about 4 db Higher output at 400 Hz. from the EVM's vs. the old K-33's.......measureable and VERY audible. I'm using a Behringer to flatten the inherent 140 Hz. peak in these stubby horns while boosting +7 db at 63 Hz. before rolloff to my tapped horn sub at 60 hz.via my receiver Audyssey setup.

Not only is midrange detail exquisite, expecially on female vocals (piano guitar, sax,, etc.), but every bass not is clear and distinct to a scary because the super light cone and frikking huge magnet improves the transients to an amazing degree. Those who like the "fast bass" in a LaScala will be licking your chops with this upgrade.

I think he is saying you will lose even more of the lower bass from your LS if you put in these EV drivers...

Bruce

Correct, but the midrange and mid bass detail is nothing short of incredible.........a good trade.........you can get the bass back with some EQ with a Behringer and bi amping. You should be using PEQ anyway to flatten the inherent 130 hz. peak in all LaSclas anyhow. About -7db.

For those without Subs, don't mess with your LaScalas unless you want to add one.

Claude, could you say more about the sub issue?

A good tapped horn will limit you to about 60-70 Hz on the top end, so you will have to EQ the LaScala below 100 hz. too meet up with the sub. If you are using a direct radiator sub or a Tuba HT, you can probably just cross at 100 Hz. Your room and placement will dictate much of this.