Help channel dropped

rockhound

Hello fellow Klipschters! I have a small problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with. Last night I set down with my favorite beverage of choice popped in some Hotel California and pushed play..ut oh only one speaker was playing. I checked all the usually connections both Chorus II's were hooked up. Some background, I have noticed a scratchy type noise coming from my speakers for a few months and then a couple of days ago the scratchy noise got worse on one of the channels this channel is the one that went out. I unhooked the Peach and ran my source directly to my little Dayton amp. With the source hooked directly to the amp it plays just fine so I know the speakers are fine as well as the amp my suspicion is the peach. I'm new to tubes so I do not know how to troubleshoot my Juicy Music Peach. Is there a particular tube that runs the right channel? Is there some troubleshooting that I can do that will isolate the problem? I have owned the Peach for a few years and have never had a problem with it nor have I replaced any tubes in it. If anyone has some suggestions please let me know as I'm at a loss on what to do.

Hey rockhound! How you been? Hey with the scratchy sound and then loss of a channel I'm betting you have a bad tube. Looking at the specs of the Peach, and since only one channel went out, I am betting it is one of the 6922s. You can swap these two tubes and see if the problem goes to the other channel. I don't really have a good source to buy tubes, maybe others will chime in. I do know you can get those 6922s at Parts Express for cheap. They may not be the ultimate quality for your amp, but they should do fine to get you out of a crunch and to use as spares.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=6922

Hey I'm gonna send you an email and catch you up on things with me. Later

Rick

TUBES!!! How the heck are ya good to see you are still around! I will try that but have a question....imagine that lol. The tubes have some kind of white plastic thing around them I'm assuming this has to come off before you can remove the tubes? I tried rocking them back and forth while gently pulling but they will not budge.

I can’t tell what the white plastic things are; I found some

photos on the Web but none of them show the tubes close enough to tell. First

thing that comes to mind are vibration dampers but those usually just slide

over the top of the tube and are situated about midway up or closer to the top.

I guess just inspect it carefully and try to figure out the assembly. Maybe

someone else with a Peach will chime in.

Rick

rockhound,

in addition to swapping tube positions it can also be helpful to clean the tube pins and sockets. Deoxit is a good product, which parts express also sells.

another tube source is http://tubedepot.com/ in Memphis.

The Peach is an awesome preamp.

edit: the white things are the tube sockets. the tubes are pulled straight up to remove. they will tolerate only the most gentle and slight side to side movement (from the top) to help pull the tubes. REALLY GENTLE and SLIGHT.

Daddy Dee/Tubes N Horns---- thanks for the help I was able to pull the tubes out with no problem! Turns out the peach is just fine I should have done more troubleshooting! When I started having this problem I tested two sources my dvd player and my apple tv both of which are hooked to my DAC both of which had the same problem no right channel. So the problem was that the darn right RCA cable on the back of the DAC had come off how this happened I have no clue plugged the right rca back in and BINGO back in business! I learned a few things from this experience 1. Buy a backup pair of tubes just incase, 2. Check ALL connections not just the speaker connections, 3. Be gentle when handling tubes. Thanks again for the help guys I appreciate it! Now where was that beer.........