Picked up my Fortes

Sepen

My wtb thread on the Garage sale thread can be closed.

I picked up a pair of 88 Fortes, (an 8+ hour trip) a KV3 and a pair of KG1.2 for $400.00. The cabinets on the Forte are in good condition and the KV3 and KG1,2 are in really good condition. I also had previously picked up an Academy and Bob rebuilt the crossover and a put a titanium tweeter in it as well, It sounds fantastic. Easily the best center I have ever had or heard.

I am listening to the KV3 and the KG1.2 now and they work just fine, and sound really nice.

The Fortes on the other hand, the tweeters are shot. Didn't realize this until I got home and did some extensive listening. So then I took the old working tweeter from the Academy and put it in one of the Fortes, still doesn't work. I chatted with Bob and will have to do crossover too, I had planned on doing the tweeters and the crossovers anyway but didn't expect it this soon. When I pulled the old tweeter from the Forte it had a yellowish type fiberglass in the inside of the dome, looked really cheap and totally different from the old Academy one. So I am going to work on the cabinets a bit until I either sell off my Onix Rocket gear or hell freezes over. I really can't put another $300+ into them this soon. Also all I ever heard or read about is how strong the bass was in them. But the bass really didn't impress me, hopefully it is an issue with the crossovers and or the wires.

When I pulled the passive woofer and the terminal cup I noticed the subwoofer leads were stuck against the subwoofer frame and the cabinet, When they put it together they pinched the wires there, had to pull the woofer just to get them out. I didn't even take the other Forte apart yet, but will soon to see what surprises are in store for me.

And the Forte cabinet build is really not impressive, no braces at all? I wonder if I should at least install some t style braces? One piece of foam is in the bottom of it, but I don't know if installing anything on the walls would even be beneficial in this case.

Anyone have any ideas on a much cheaper crossover rebuild option? I would want to get it off the cup and have new wires. I know Bob does great work but at $248 shipped for new ones, I am going to have to wait a bit.

here is a link to a thread with pictures of a set of Quartet which are simply slightly smaller Forte which have been vwery well braced. This has a huge impact upon performance. I have also added a link to show a simple but somewhat less effective method of box brace work on a pair of H3. You can gain bass extension and output by re tuning your passive radiators by adding dead weight to the centre of the passive inside the speaker, 2.5 ounces will do a nice job on each passive. Good luck have fun with the Forte. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372783&highlight=klf20

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=438234&highlight=heresy+3+brace

Update. I checked with 3 crossover builders and decided to have Bob build me some "new" ones. He is a knowledgable person and takes the time to talk with you. I also have never seen anyone who can respond to an email as fast as he does. He just rebuilt my Academy and I was very pleased so it was a no brainer. But for the sake of it I had to ask for other opinions. I also ordered the Titanium tweeters and should have everything in a few days. I then ordered new dust caps for my passives.

I also removed everything from the box and added some braces, then used Mortite for the gaskets and horns and siliconed the inside of the cabinet joints.

I do have a question, don't want to bother Bob if I don't have to but on the mid squaker, I removed the wires without taking a good look. The other drivers have a + for the postive but nothing on the mid, only a yellow painted dot on one side, is this positive?

Will post my impressions when everything is put together, hopefully by Saturday night.

Thank You, did check with Bob who said the same thing.

I have been playing the Fortes since Saturday, got the crossovers and titanium tweets installed, did the cab mods. Have been listening to tons of tunes and some movies. Exceptional. The soundstage is so huge, the sound just seems to be coming from everywhere. Very very satisfied. Now, need to explore on getting the mid upgrades, if they are worth it or not.

Have also been using the KG1.2's in the rear but have found someone local who has a pair of Quarts in excellent condition, wants $400 firm. What to do?

Yup, yellow dot is positive.

If the Quartets are PERFECT, they may be worth $400, but they should be flawless. Do they match the finish of your Forte? Do they fit in your space? They are pretty darn near as good as the Forte and I fine speaker. A bit overkill I think for rears, but others would disagree I'm sure.

If the Quartets are PERFECT, they may be worth $400, but they should be flawless. Do they match the finish of your Forte? Do they fit in your space? They are pretty darn near as good as the Forte and I fine speaker. A bit overkill I think for rears, but others would disagree I'm sure.

Yes, they match my finish. I think you may be right in that they would be overkill as rears. I also have glanced at a really nice pair of KG2 with risers.

For rears, you may want to stay away from passive radiators in the back to open up more placement possibilities. See if you can find a nice set of KG 3 or KG 3.2? I'd even get the 2.2 or 2.5 over the KG2 for a rear application - BUT, the KG2 with the laser badges would be a nice looking match to the Forte (a mini Forte, have you...) I can now see the draw.... Go for it. I used a pair of KG1s for years with great results. the sealed cabinet makes placement easy, and they also have the classic Heritage look with laser logos.