Long or short wall use (forum re-direct)

USNRET

Here's the post.....

How would you set this room up?

Room: dedicated man space 17x24x9

Speakers: LCR Belles, surrounds Heresy or RS-7s (or both), SVS PB12/plus2

Seating: 3 seat arcing 'theater' recliners

More time spent with movies / tv but where sound quality is concerned design it for 2 channel

Do I plan on using the short wall or long wall for the front?

If long wall what would be spacing estimate of L & R?

This is my max room size, is there a better L/W (ceiling height capped at 9')?

Would
having trey ceiling at the 9' max with some 8' height surrounding two
9' treys hurt the sound. Thinking of 2 perpendiculiar treys, one over
listening area and 1 over game / wet bar area.

I am trying to get
my act together to tell home designer where to put entry door, wet bar,
storage closet, etc (and if it's a slam dunk on which wall I won't have
to pre-wire both long and short walls to 'test') would like to keep
room future KHorn ready.

Pros and cons either way.

Using the long wall for the mains, I see the 17' dimension being perhaps too constricted to accomodate enough distance between the speakers and listening positing, and from the listening position to the rear wall. +Wide sweet spot. -No stereo coverage at room's lateral exremes, back wall treatment required.

Using the short wall, it may be too narrow to accomodate the Belles, only providing a wide, enveloping experience when the listening position is up in the near half of the room. +Stereo coverage would be better throughout the room, something to consider for future Khorn plans. -The big, enveloping sound would necessarily be limited to closer to the mains, and hopefully you could place the seats within that zone; treatment of side walls required.

Got any teenagers you can put to work? Try both orientations before making any final, integrated wiring decisions.

It's a new house build and while I could wire both ways, it is going to cost some to put enough power, speaker (pre-wire x7), hmdi, coax, sub coax (x2), etc on two walls.

Treatment (absorption 84 s.f.) I have. I figured eqilateral triangle for speakers / seating if using short wall and dart board / poker table, etc at rear of room behind seating.

I figured eqilateral triangle for speakers / seating if using short wall and dart board / poker table, etc at rear of room behind seating.

That's the route I would take. My listening space/living room is only 13 x 21, and I have my La Scalas on the short wall. I have even had them only four feet apart. This was the best sound I've had, with orchestral/classical music sounding more realistic and jazz and rock, with the music often coming from outside the separation of the LS. I can't explain it, but it sounded great.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Please have another look at the post. I have attached the designer's initial plan but we need to save some sq. footage overall so I told the boss I would get some input on the room dimensions.We need to meet tomorrow to start getting this narrowed down.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/167042/1806826.aspx#1806826