Amp for tht-lp

alexg5775

Topis says it all. I was set on crown xti but then i started doing some reading and there is information the AMP does not put it rated power down low, 20HZ region.

I was leaning toward a behringer EP2000 or EP2500. I would really like to stay in the 200, max 250 range for a NICE amp. Obviously the amp is for subwoofer duty so are there any other amps you guys would recomend? I would really like to have atleast 500WPC for sub to get most out of sub, if i have extra power on tap that is ok. I am smart user and really dont run my sub too hot.

I want a the amp to be rackable. It is for 60% music, 40% movies. I have la scalas with a marantz ma700 on each. My room is 12ft x 22ft with 8ft ceilings. Opens to kitchen and staircase......

Thank you guys in advance for your help. PICS are coming soon

Alex

The Dayton Audio SA1000 might be just the ticket you're looking for. Right now it's only $350, 950 watts into 4 ohms, has a built-in low frequency parametric EQ, built-in phase control and adjustable low pass filter and more.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-811

Ok i have done tons of reading and research today. I came across the behringer iNUKE serious. Looks very promising with built in dsp and subsonic filter, which i am looking for. I was thinking the 1000dsp and run it bridged at 4 ohms or the 3000dsp and just run 1 channel at 4 ohms.... Opinions?

Topis says it all. I was set on crown xti but then i started doing some reading and there is information the AMP does not put it rated power down low, 20HZ region.

I was leaning toward a behringer EP2000 or EP2500. I would really like to stay in the 200, max 250 range for a NICE amp. Obviously the amp is for subwoofer duty so are there any other amps you guys would recomend? I would really like to have atleast 500WPC for sub to get most out of sub, if i have extra power on tap that is ok. I am smart user and really dont run my sub too hot.

I want a the amp to be rackable. It is for 60% music, 40% movies. I have la scalas with a marantz ma700 on each. My room is 12ft x 22ft with 8ft ceilings. Opens to kitchen and staircase......

Thank you guys in advance for your help. PICS are coming soon

500 watts is way more than you need. I use a Crown XLS 202 to drive 2 THT's, and it is more than enough. At 4 ohms, it provides 300 watts. My THT's cannot take everything this amp throws at them. I don't remember the reason but Bill Fitzmaurice himself told me not to waste money on a big amp. Something to do with resonance, and voltage in a horn, yada yada...

I would suggest you post this message on BF's website, and see what Bill says.

Ok i have done tons of reading and research today.

Keep on reading... The iNuke is the wrong tool.

The Dayton Audio SA1000 might be just the ticket you're looking for.

+2 [Y]

Even the SA-230 would be plenty, but the single band PEQ on the SA-1000 is very nice to have.

Putting a HPF (subsonic filter) on the THT-LP defeats the purpose of the design. It's supposed to be run without one. [8]

Putting a HPF (subsonic filter) on the THT-LP defeats the purpose of the design. It's supposed to be run without one. Music

[*-)]

Disagree... Still not good below tuning, and no point giving lots of power below 17 Hz or not, better to filter it out.

Still not good below tuning, and no point giving lots of power below 17 Hz or not, better to filter it out.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16113&start=45

4th post from the top of the page. This has been hashed over plenty at the BF site.

I simply don't see the point in throwing gobs of power at a sub below tune, as well as asking an amplifier to go for broke where the sub is rolling off.

I simply don't see the point in throwing gobs of power at a sub below tune, as well as asking an amplifier to go for broke where the sub is rolling off.

The recommended SA-1000 does have a switchable 18 Hz HPF.

A multimeter would reveal a horn is a walk in the park for the average amplifier. Any good amp will have a HPF hard-wired at 8 to 10 Hz anyhow.

It's your guys' stuff.. If a HPF put's your conscience at ease? Just saying, it doesn't need one.

"And as the excursion of THT goes down below 22Hz it won't benefit from even a high quality HP filter."

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1342427/tht-high-pass-filter#post_20603905

I have done some reading and it appears the over all concensus is it DOES NOT need a hpf. I also heard Bill say to not boost anywere in the 20-25hz region and if a HPF is a must it will have to be above 25hz, which i do not want...

So i guees i do not need a HPF. The SA-1000 is a bit to expensive for me. I might be able to get a good deal on a bash 500 and also have a good deal on a crown xls 1500 (local). The bash which will be cheaper but the xls give me space for a second tht-lp upgrade in the future and no need for a box building for amp i will need to do with the bash... One is a pro full rage amp, the other soley subwoofer amp.

My real question is, regardless of everything else, off which amp will the sub sound "better" of off? Which of these amps is better suited for driving this particular sub?

Alex

I used a Yamaha PC33001N http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=au.yamaha.com&asset_id=46661 to drive my latest experiment of a trio "see photo" with a combined mouth 4.5 foot by 2 foot. The amp is normally used to drive a pair of KPT-250's as DJ booth monitors so it was just convenient. We used an old bit of 10 amp 240 volt extension cord as the speaker lead.

The 3 Drivers are the DVC385-88 wired series on each speaker and parallel the 3 speakers so that's 16ohm/speaker divided by 3 equals 5.333 ohm then that goes up due to the horn loading.

The amp was in bridged configuration which delivers 1000watt into 8ohm. I set the system limiter to prevent the amp from exceeding the green lights on the meter scale.

The reggae band playing that night was given the option of using the trio or not. For simplicity, I had programmed 2 pre-sets into the iDR8 system controller so the choice was just a press of one button.

They were xover @ 60hz to a set of four KPT-684 xover @ 120hz to a set of eight KP-362's.

The result was ridiculous. You get the impression they go down to zero hz when you just touch the bass drum gently or flick a string on the bass guitar. It just sounds ridiculous clean as and if you think you can imagine what it's going to sound like you really have no idea.

Playing CD's was awesome but live instruments really does take your breath away. The drummer was a yes definitely use them I'm getting my ear plugs.

So no high pass filters only extreme slope xover 60hz and careful time alignment of the system.

I'm not getting those 3 back lol they have been confiscated due to producing ridiculous results. Each one is a unique individual non standard experiment. I really enjoyed building them. It's like re-living my teen age years when I last built my own speakers before I got my LaScala.

I'm now going to build a pair of 24" wide for myself rather than a single 36" wide for my LFE and a pair of 15" wide using the RSS315HF-4 to see what that's like. I'm sure I will find a home for them after I have finished playing with them.

post-45280-1381980064686_thumb.jpg

Putting a HPF (subsonic filter) on the THT-LP defeats the purpose of the design. It's supposed to be run without one. Music

Confused

Disagree... Still not good below tuning, and no point giving lots of power below 17 Hz or not, better to filter it out.

Interesting! Didn't know it was relatively safe at low frequencies. Still, I'd rather filter out the low stuff and save the amplifier Watts for frequency that will have some output. Comes free with my miniDSP. I might lower the HP frequency a bit now that I know excursion goes down below 22 Hz.

EDIT: Didn't quote your reply to my message. Doh!

"And as the excursion of THT goes down below 22Hz it won't benefit from even a high quality HP filter."

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1342427/tht-high-pass-filter#post_20603905

I have done some reading and it appears the over all concensus is it DOES NOT need a hpf. I also heard Bill say to not boost anywere in the 20-25hz region and if a HPF is a must it will have to be above 25hz, which i do not want...

So i guees i do not need a HPF. The SA-1000 is a bit to expensive for me. I might be able to get a good deal on a bash 500 and also have a good deal on a crown xls 1500 (local). The bash which will be cheaper but the xls give me space for a second tht-lp upgrade in the future and no need for a box building for amp i will need to do with the bash... One is a pro full rage amp, the other soley subwoofer amp.

My real question is, regardless of everything else, off which amp will the sub sound "better" of off? Which of these amps is better suited for driving this particular sub?

Both of those amps are overkill for the THT. The good thing about plate amps are that they are specifically made to drive subs. They have variable low pass filter knobs, which really help you tune a setup a great deal. If you are using a sub-out RCA from an AVR, then the pro amp is fine. Just remember that the amp driving a sub is not nearly as important as an amp driving the other speakers. People who have very high dollar tube setups don't mind driving the accompanying sub with an ordinary solid state amp. Any amp you get should not be over 200 watts at 4 ohms. I am serious. I have 200 watts going into mine, and they cannot handle it all. I run mine at about 40% when I have my system cranked all the way. That's 80 watts! I have two THT's and 6 LaScalas in that system. It sounds nuts.