in ceiling speakers for rear surround

synergyfreak

looks like im going to be forced when I move into new house for in wall ceiling surround speakers, can you still run 4 for the back surround or is two rear speakers enough; then which ones should I be looking at as a close match as possible to my rf-7 front speakers, may have to put my rs-52's up for sale and rb-61's in the next few month ugh was hoping i wouldnt have to go this route.

• Moderators

Myself I am happy with 5.1, but using in ceiling or in wall I would use two rears and also two sides. I think it would help disperse the sound. My sister has in ceilings for rears and they seem a little directional, two more to the sides would probably make a big difference.?

I don't know what model but I am sure they have something to match your 7's.

• Moderators

I never did like the idea of in wall speakers, until I was at a klipsch pilgrimage in Indy and they had a in-wall reference speaker playing in one of the audition rooms. I was really impressed which made me realize it's the same drivers or real close which should make it sound good, just never thought about it being that good. [:$]

If nothing else pre wire for the others, (and remember where their at ) That way you can just cut a hole out and install later.

I think what you'll want are some RCW-5. They have an 8" woofer and being made around the same time as Rf7's also have the copper/black colored woofer (if you ever want the grills off). The RCW-3 may work for you as well with its 6.5" woofer. I picked up a pair of RCW-5 off eBay last year for around $250 if I recall correctly. I ended up returning them because they were more damaged then the seller had described, I was really bummed. Anyhow, look around for those as I think they'll suit your needs just fine. Just make sure that they come with the mounting kit and grills as they are hard to come by from my experience. Good luck.

I can't see why you wouldnt be able to mount wall speakers in the ceiling if you wanted. Wall speakers are typically rectangular though and ceiling are typically round. The wall version will have separate woofer and tweeter positioning within the enclosure where as the ceiling speakers generally have the tweeter sitting atop of the woofer and centered.

The in walls you usually have the sides pointing at your ears, and the cdt-3800s I think have a tweeter you can point more towards your head. I have the first model of these.

http://www.klipsch.com/R-5650-S-II

Which if you look at the tweeters they are pointed in different directions, I have these behind me and the sound great, I would think if you had one on each side I think it would sound great. Then use the CDT-3800's and direct the tweeter to the listening position.