Heresy II Refinish

Scrappydue

OK guys this is my second thread about these guys. first was for future mod questions. which is not first priority. this thread will be for the first priority.

So i am gonna put a few pics on here of the finish on these. they are missing some veneer in places. and i assuming whenever that happened the owner before the guy i bought them from just straight painted them black. so i need to know the best way to get started on these. i bought these for two reasons.

One: to hear a three way heritage speaker vs my reference stuff.

Two: A project to learn to refinish cabinets.

i am not wanting to waste a bunch of money so i am looking for some great advice on getting this paint off, and then some light sanding if i have to and then i will attempt veneering. i am gonna order a cheap sheet to see how hard it is to do edges before i buy a nice roll to do the whole things. so any help or direction would be greatly appreciated guys!!

Scrappy,

If you want to strip the paint, go to Home Depot and get two pints of Klean Strip. It may take a gallon before you are finished, so judge for yourself, as it is much cheaper by the gallon. It applys by pouring it on and spreading with a very cheap paint brush, Let it sit and the old paint will start to bubble and seperate from the wood. It may take several applications, depending on the amount of paint, but you will learn very quick. Wash up is with water and have plenty of rags and a putty knife onhand. You will be sanding soon......Wear gloves as this product is very caustic and will burn the hell out of your skin.

Don't worry, the veneer, it can be repaired.

W. C.

This is a GREAT project! [Y] You are right where I was a year and a half ago.

Here is the thread from my refurb and upgrade: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/148682.aspx You won't necessarily learn anything but you might get a kick out of what I went through. I do add a couple of notes about upgrading these to a HIII.

Here is Groomlakearea51's famous thread for his $200 Cornwall saga where there is much you can learn: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117315.aspx

Dig in and Have fun!

so a little status update on where i am at. i have got most of the stripping done and besides the nicks have discovered the real reason for painting..PLANT RINGS ALL OVER THE TOPS!! went out and bought all the gear i think i will need to start the sanding process. i also have decided on a mahogany wood and am going to go with a darker stain. i enjoy dark wood much more than light wood. had a couple more questions for the pro's:First, I have been on crites website and wondering if there is any benefit from buying new crossovers and relocating them over just a rebuild kit? is it a benefit of just easo to get to after that or what? second question is, does anyone know where to find the older white looking grill cloth? i have only seen a few pics of them. i know there is the cain and then the black but this white colored is really cool looking. thanks guys!