Mulholland Drive - strongest, lowest bass i've heard in a movie

boa12

ok 1st, warning this is another interpretative type movie & from the bizarre mind of david lynch to boot.

but the low LFE coming out of the sub during this flick

was very intense. it shook the house like none I had heard before. my guess is it was at or well below 16hz.

also some very steamy stuff in this one (again that lynch is a wild mind - think "blue velvet"). Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the bass was rather intense, wasn't it? And a very strange movie indeed.

------------------

My hodge-podge of equipment

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

• 3 weeks later...

I, like most men, enjoyed the lesbian scenes. Sorta like a cool mountain stream in the middle of July, you wanna jump right in.

Boa, how did your HGS handle the low bass? My Klipsch came up short.

Keith

There was low bass during the lesbian scenes!? What on earth were they doing?? cwm24.gif

j/k. cwm27.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Arcam DV88

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

This message has been edited by KAiN64 on 07-06-2002 at 06:34 AM

yes keith, most fascinating for we men indeed for some reason(s). Wink.gif

& yea w/ the hgs bottom feeder its really apparant. but it better be for a $2-3k sub. that's why i get so excited when i find some material that actually puts that to work. Smile.gif

kain, the low hz stuff as i remember is just sorta sprinkled throughout along w/ the background music. they musta used a synthesizer for it cause its lower i think than about any practical instrument & don't think its a pipe organ.

cwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

As you've already stated boa, it is definitely the looowest bass I've heard on DVD. I've done about 3 minutes of scientific testing on my SW12II(s) and the output sounds to stay flat to about 28hz before output begins to audibly drop. Haven't tested with meter because the sub would still play only as low as it plays before testing(this is the scientific part). Anyway, just wondering if your HGS got down to the feel-but-not-hear range of woofage.

Keith

keith, yes it definitely does. my test tones only go to 20hz but i can hear that pretty fine, so guess for most you can hear low bass pretty well into the hz teens. but down there real low its kind of hard to explain. like its there but you can't hear. guess that's the feel but its really more like a sense, if that makes any sense. cwm5.gif

like w/ those high sample rates/frequencies on your dvd-audio. its like one can't hear it but one can sense there's spmething there & its rather pleasant (or

in the case of the subsonic low bass quite scary sometimes Smile.gif).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I'm not sure if you guys understand all about audio waves so I'll try & explain as clearly as possible. The lower the pitch the longer apart the peaks and valleys of the audio wave are. So basically once a tone gets so low that the peak to peak measurement is longer than the distance you are from your sub you'd actually have to move further away from it just to hear one cycle of the tone. Or the further you are away from your sub the louder the bass is to a point. Have you ever thought the music was at a low volume but when you walk around your house you seem to hear the sub hitting pretty loud? Same concept. This is laymen's terms obviously.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Ok for an example. A 20hz bass tone has a waveform with peaks and valleys spaced out every 56 feet. It's not that you can't "hear/feel" that tone if you're say 10ft away because amplitude(wattage/power whatever you wanna call it) plays into effect here. The more wattage/amperage the higher the peaks and valleys, making for an immense waveform. The peaks are still 56ft apart but just more intense. Maybe someone has a huge room, a 20hz test tone and a measuring tape and would like to perform some experiments. Walk 56 feet away and see if the bass gets more boomy or if it spikes. I'm sure you could find a conversion chart somewhere on the net to use a higher(say 30hz) tone and a shorter distance. I'm curious.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

synth, listen to MD about 28 minutes into the movie and report back.

Keith

BTW boa, did you understand this movie? I do remember that the key to the mystery can be found on Mulholland Drive.

k, don't want to be a spoiler for the non-seers so far,

but i just didn't put as much work in this one as VS since it didn't involve cryonics. Biggrin.gif i'll just say its pretty similar to VS w/ the dreaming. one key may be who the thugs/killers are in the limo.

synth, just did a lil test @ 20hz w/ my velo hgs-18 at

about -42db under reference level. w/ my ear right by the woofer mostly felt the sound pressure/vibration hitting my head.

at the rear corner about 30ft away did notice i was more actually hearing the bass & it sounded pretty clean - not muddy or boomy. so i think i get your point - to actually hear that lower bass you need to be farther away from the sub source. but you'll still sense/feel the wave pressure/vibration up closer like at my usual listening position about 12ft away from the sub. btw, i can't get my sub in a corner so i'm not getting much reinforement there.

so on some of these 5.1 movies, the low bass/effects i'm hearing from the rear, that i thought was coming from my rear cornwalls, may actually be more from the lfe in the sub in front of the room. maybe the corns also reinforce it in the rear though. that is if the mixers are also putting in low bass in the surround/rear channels to match up w/ the lfe.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-07-2002 at 01:53 PM

i'll have to pick up a copy and give the rsw-15 a thrashing-will follow-up.(really-i got this to hear the deep bass-not for the lesbian scenes)-my explaination to the w2b as to why i picked out THIS dvd. Wink.gif

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen