La scala

KoosKlipsch

...but when placed at 45°, the mid range pattern (not shown) fires parallel to the side wall, down the length of the room with no significant interference, and the zone of reflected 4-6 kHz sound is greatly reduced.

As you can see in this configuration, if your furniture placement allows, moving closer up to less than 6 meters away form the front wall, may significantly improve your listening experience.

There will be no "sweet spot" per say....just an area where the sound is "least worst" which should be a fair improvement to say the least. [Y][;)]

post-42237-13819801731944_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best imaging and tonal balance came with my LS on the short wall, with a good two feet of space in from the side walls. This only left about 4.5 feet between them.

For a good long while I had my speakers placed directly side-by-side as a matter of circumstance. The cabinets served as the bottom portion of my entertainment center. As a result, almost all the energy the speakers put into the room hit the couch and nothing but the couch. With double the baffle width, the La Scala got very directional, even well into the bass region.

That was awesome for controlling the acoustics and making my neighbors happy, but naturally the "stereo region" was only a dead-center swath about 6" wide. [:S] That, in combination with having the couch directly up against the back wall, caused some pretty good suck-outs in the bass region until I got an adequate sub to fix that problem.

With rooms less than15 feet wide and a shorter than 10 foot ceiling, it's all about compromise.

post-42237-13819801744094_thumb.png

the position now

Koos

You might try moving your listening position closer to the speakers. Usually, sitting as far from the speakers as they are from each other gives a fairly good stereo soundstage. That's not a hard rule, but it's definitely worth trying for a bit.

hi QH

I have tried the position of 45 degrees (straight in the corners) the sound was IMO very dull, poor of brightness and no bass at all. there was not a moment a thought of a A wall of sound even not when i move closer to the speakers (i was sitting at last at my dinner table) to listen to the music, in my opinion not the most wanted and niced place to listen to music (too near)

is it a better idea to move my speakers for about 30 cm with their front away fron the wall (they are now at 20 cm ; see picture) between the speakers is now my hifi equipment place

and at your first drawing (70 degrees) you say that the reflections will (only) come from the wall, but IMO the sound is also going to the middle space (between) of the speakers? or am I wrong

Koos

post-35072-13819801748454_thumb.jpg

I have tried...

That's the important part.

is it a better idea to move my speakers for about 30 cm with their front away fron the wall (they are now at 20 cm ; see picture) between the speakers is now my hifi equipment place

At this point, I simply don't know.

and at your first drawing (70 degrees) you say that the reflections will (only) come from the wall, but IMO the sound is also going to the middle space (between) of the speakers? or am I wrong

No, you're right. There's sound going all over the room. The diagram just shows a particular behavior, at a certain set of frequencies.The interaction of the speaker and the room, and how we perceive that interaction, is ridiculously complex.

is it a better idea to move my speakers for about 30 cm with their front away fron the wall (they are now at 20 cm ; see picture) between the speakers is

In my room, I get the best sound with the rear corner of the speakers closest to the front wall about 15 cm from the wall. As I pulled them further from the wall, the bass response got weaker.

Do you have a sound level meter and test CD or DVD? That way, you can test more accurately for peaks and dips in your speakers' sound. It also really helps when you want to dial in a subwoofer.

Do you use a subwoofer in your system? The La Scala speakers do not have much low bass capability, so a sub can really help, and its effects are noticeable right into the mid-range.

the pattern represented in the two drawings are closer to what an EV ST-120 produces....the T-35A used in the lascala only has a horizontal plane of 95 degrees at 8khz.

So the sound would be pretty far down the room before you would get any wall reflections. The T35 EDS document states this begins to occur 10 to 30 feet down stream. I opt for the later since the tweeter winds up two fee from the wall due to the size of the lascala. 10ft would be consistent with a t-35 mounted in a Hersey sized box.

I find it hard to believe that i can place my la scalas toed-in at 45 degrees in a room with a width of 4 meters...my ideal listening place would be about 3-4 meters (near the axis of the two speaker lines)...and i think that it is too short [because] I have the space for 8 meters,

I also think that the sweet spot will [be too far forward] because of the extra space I have behind that spot (4 or 5 meters).

I'd point the La Scalas directly at your listening position, then make sure that the side and front walls near the midrange horn mouth have an absorption tile (or two) or some fuzzy material or tapestry to absorb near-field reflections (see the Corner Horn Imaging FAQ for more ideas and for rationale). This acoustic treatment technique is also called the "Reflection-Free Zone".

Chris

I now have THE following postioning THE frontpoint is now 35 cm from THE wall. THE back point 10 cm from THE front wall. THE front is 1 m from THE back wall. Measured over THE speakers middlepoint.

It sounds very Nice , open. And THE. " sound of wall". Is back again. There is no narrow sweet spot

Next week i buy à pair of acustic Anti reflecting materials ( my best friend use That stuff à lot when building his speakers. See kharma.com).

I place them. on THE frontaal wall naar THE mouth of THE mid and see wat That Brings

Have à Nice sunday you all

Koos

Here is a simple way to position absorbent material on the side walls. Have someone with a mirror held at the midway point between the mid and hi horns walk with the mirror at that height along the side wall toward the sitting end of the room from just in front of each loudspeaker. While sitting in the main stereo chair watch the mirror and when you can see the reflection of the horns in the mirror you have found the point at which your first point of reflection is and where you want to place your absorbent material. I hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

PS: this same method also works for the first ceiling reflection following the direct path (line of sight) from the loudspeaker to the seating position.

I now have THE following postioning THE frontpoint is now 35 cm from THE wall. THE back point 10 cm from THE front wall. THE front is 1 m from THE back wall. Measured over THE speakers middlepoint.
It sounds very Nice , open. And THE. " sound of wall". Is back again. There is no narrow sweet spot
Next week i buy à pair of acustic Anti reflecting materials ( my best friend use That stuff à lot when building his speakers. See kharma.com).
I place them. on THE frontaal wall naar THE mouth of THE mid and see wat That Brings

Have à Nice sunday you all
Koos

Glad to hear you're getting your La Scalas dialed in. Happy listening! [:)][Y][:D]

Thanks. I,m sure my pleasure with the LaScala,s Will grown for à long time. Perhaps in THE futere a pair of updates but i dont known witch and when. But i,m learning from you all. À very nice community this is I am surprised to see That so many people love THE Klipsch heritage products .In THE netherlands in,s à crime to Find a proper technical klipsch dealer of distributor since THE distribution network is in hands of à very lang company. Witch is not. Fitted for à good technical problemen with THE heritage line

Therefore i,m happy That i found this community

Thans again