An RF-82 II review/comparison

masterxela

Preface: I've owned RF-15's, RF-7's, dean g'd RF-7's, RB-75's, Heresy's, a KV-3, 2 pairs of KG1's, KG 4.2's, KLF-30's, and briefly heard virtually everything else: cornscala's, forte's, etc

Alright, got the RF-82 II's in today. Bought them because I felt they were the best for what I needed (of course). Mostly HT, modern living room, RF-7 II's were out of the price range. Could have gotten a pair of rf-82/63/83/7 used for the same price or less, but didn't feel like it...

Wired 'em up. PS3 -> Denon receiver preouts -> Adcom GFA-5800 -> speakers

Set 'em to large and cranked it to -3 on the receiver. The adcom is a monster...

First listen I decided to do one of my favorite concert DVD's, Cream live at Royal Albert Hall (2005, they're OLD):

I'm extremely familiar with this DVD, White Room is my favorite track - fretless bass tone is full and well balanced (forward) in the mix, drum toms 'smack', Claptons guitar and the cymbals soar, but not the delicate 'airy' magnepan kinda soar, the wall of full stack's 'fill a stadium' soar

The RF-82 II's sound exactly like I expected. They sound like good Klipsch reference speakers. High sensitivity and relatively high power handling (rated at 150w) and you can reproduce live concert volumes with clarity and detail. You cannot find a $1000 pair of new floorstanders that has better sound quality at high volume. At moderate output levels, I think the conventional tweeter designs in the other manufacturers can compete (but you need big amps, and Klipsch's sound excellent on receivers) But who wants to listen to Cream at <110db? Snore. Plug in your headphones if you're after the purest reproduction at low volume

I don't have the luxury of comparing them directly to my previous klipsch speakers because different room and different electronics does a lot. However, the rf-82 II's don't quite have the outrageous low distortion output that the rf-7s and klf-30's have (as expected). If someone asked me to describe the rf-7/klf-30's sound when pushed hard, I'd say, "they will crush your face". The rf-82 II gets a little strained, a little harsh, you can tell it's near it's limit and starting to sound compressed. Maybe a little bit of microdynamics and midrange texture is lost. You can turn up any speaker to the point this happens! The fact is that you don't want to be in the room when it happens to the 7.

Crossed at 80hz and the midrange would improve at reference output (my woofers had serious visible several mm excursion during music. I'm sure low frequency HT material would highten the issue). I'm building a DIY FTW-21 sub, and it's not done. When it is, I'll have in room measurements of the 2.1 system.

Am I keeping them? Yes. Am I happy with my purchase? Yes. Are there better speakers in the world? Yes. At $1000/pair new? Probably not

• Moderators

Great, it sounds like what you were looking for, if it sounds good to you that's all that matters, and a sub will probably change things for the better.

I have never had a chance to hear a pair, the closest i have heard were the original Rf 7's but to tell the truth I have have liked every Klipsch speaker I have heard considering size and price. They all sound similar but different in ways ! [:S]