KV-3 or KV-4 with KG5.5s

secriaus

I've been reading here for a long time and have some questions so this is my first post. My name is Zachary. I live in eastern Iowa and work at a printing company. I got my first pair of KG2s when I was 13 and have had the Klipsch bug ever since. Besides all things sound related, I also like reef aquariums and golfing. Anyhow..

I currently have KG5.5 mains, a KV-2 center and KG1.2 rears in a 5.0 (no sub) arrangement. I want to upgrade the KV-2 and am trying to decide between the KV-3 and KV-4. Which would be better voice matched to the 5.5s? The 4 looks to be a 'better' speaker, but the 5.5s and 3 use a similar high frequency driver. Also, the KV-4 appears not to be available in my beloved Medium Oak (not a deal breaker if it sounds better). Any comments appreciated.

• Moderators

Sorry I don't know anything about the Kg series but just wanted to say Welcome, and ask why no sub ? just wondering, to me every Ht needs a sub [:P]

Either way sounds like a nice setup, the Kg's always seem to get great reviews.

Nice setup - I've had similar and it served me well. Definitely the KV3 over the KV4. The KV4 was used with the Epic series. Alternatively if you have the space a single KG 2.2 or 2.5 would work well, too. I used a 3rd KG 5.5 for the center when I was using the 5.5 mains and it was awesome. Believe it or not after recalibrating and such I didn't really miss the single 5.5 in the center with I DOWNGRADED to the KV3 for purely aesthetic reasons. Go figure.

Sorry I don't know anything about the Kg
series but just wanted to say Welcome, and ask why no sub ? just
wondering, to me every Ht needs a sub Stick out tongue

Either way sounds like a nice setup, the Kg's always seem to get great reviews.

Thanks
dtel! I know the KG series is certainly not up to par with today's
reference series (sound-wise) but I've got them setup in my great room
(no theater room yet) and IMO the furniture-grade wood vineer looks 10x
better than the crap finishes on the new RF towers. As far as the sub:
I've been piecing this system together on craigslist over the last year
and just haven't found a sub to keep pace with the 5.5s in my budget yet
(~$500).

Nice setup - I've had similar and it served me well. Definitely the KV3 over the KV4. The KV4 was used with the Epic series. Alternatively if you have the space a single KG 2.2 or 2.5 would work well, too. I used a 3rd KG 5.5 for the center when I was using the 5.5 mains and it was awesome. Believe it or not after recalibrating and such I didn't really miss the single 5.5 in the center with I DOWNGRADED to the KV3 for purely aesthetic reasons. Go figure.

Thank for the input! It's always nice to hear an opinion from someone who has experiece with the matter. I found a KV-3 for $140 shipped and you just made my descision to pull the trigger. [:D]

• Moderators

As far as the sub:
I've been piecing this system together on craigslist over the last year
and just haven't found a sub to keep pace with the 5.5s in my budget yet
(~$500).

That's a great way to do it. Take your time, be patient and wait for the great deals. The KG series are super affordable on Craigslist. Pgavin in the forums has the 5.5 and he really enjoys them.

I had the KV3 and it worked well with my CF-2's. Had no problem keeping up with them until I moved up to the RF-83's. Then it was definitely upgrade time. [:P]