OK, Stereo store made some changes to my system.

Dafishguy

Hi all,

Just as I thought I was near the top of the home theatre food chain, my stereo store brought out another set of RS-7's for me to try in place of the rc-3's. OH MY GOD. I played the depth charge scenes from U-571 and knocked the lenses off my ceiling mounted light fixtures. Holy cowcrap, this R-7 system is sweet. I just have one question concerning my sub. As you know, I have an RSW-15 which is a perfect match for the rest of the 7 system, however the RSW-15 does not get as good a review as the SVS-CS sub system. As they both cost nearly the same, what would your recommendations be... Keep the RSW-15 for which my local store has said they will take back if I'm not completly satisfied or take the RSW-15 back and order a set of SVS-CS subs? The RSW-15 produces some of the best bottom end I have ever heard or felt, but unfortunately I can't try out every sub before I buy it. If you where in my shoes, what would you do? cwm36.gif

Thanks and take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub RSW-15

Receiver Denon 5803

DVD Denon 2800 (Soon to be Denon 9000)

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

If you like the idea of SVS subs, look at a pair of the Ultras. SVS is running the "summer sale" right now - the two Ultras and Samson amp and interconnect for $1999! This will have your room full of big league bass capable of Dolby reference levels - 120+db output. SVS is really quite a bargain - this kit will shred anything at that price, and many at double the price. The "Oh - My - God" factor will increase that much more.......

If the budget cannot handle the Ultras - look at the CS+ series. 80% of the Ultra's output at 2/3 the price - two CS+ (20-39) with amp is $1399.

I don't know how much money you have invested in the RSW, but I figure it's in between the two listed SVS prices. "TheEars" could probably provide a direct review/comparison, but I'm sure the Ultras will outdo the RSW, especially down low (at 20hz). The SVS are known for being "flat subs" - they perform great down low, where the RSW has good output above 30hz, but drops off below that.

The reviews on the SVS don't lie - it's serious subbage. With Klipsch speakers, good subbage is essential - Klipsch speakers have such dynamic range and impact - they require high output, quality subs to do them justice.

Give the SVS guys a call too. They are "straight shooters" and will tell it like it is. The advice will be free, with no "hard sell". Once you talk to them, I think you'll be sold. They take returns as well (that's rare, as evidenced by the rarity of "B Stock" available for sale at SVS).

Ears, what do you know about this??

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 06-10-2002 at 07:18 PM

dfg, though it's subject to debate Smile.gif, you might also try rc-7 in place of the rs-7. may just be a subtle dif since the rs-7 are wdst (also have a direct component), but imo the directs as rear effects make more sense.

directs there tie together the diffuse sound coming from the sides. iow, they anchor it.

& when 6.1 discrete becomes more mainstream w/ material, i would think you'd want more direct for the front/back & vice versa fly over effects which are suppose to go right over your head.

all i'm saying is while you're in a testing mode u may want to try a single or 2 rc-7 to avoid changes down the road. Smile.gif especially test w/ dts 6.1 discrete. i know the haunting was the 1st in this, but more may be listed at www.dtsonline.com

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-10-2002 at 09:48 PM

Rick,

Listen,are you satisfied with your RSW15? If yes then why change.The whole point of buying a system is to please yourself and those around you.Not because some "reviewer" said so.

The SVS Ultra/CS-Plus will reach a true 20Hz with power(over 110dB).The RSW 15 reaches about the same at 31.5Hz.

SVS = more output and deeper sub bass with power

RSW = cleanest sub bass with punch(not to say the SVS is punchless Wink.gif )

What do you value most?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Boa -

Good input regarding WDST for sides vs. directs for rears. My question is this - what should you use for a rear center speaker - one that matches the front end, or one that matches the side surrounds?? In my case, I have a Chorus II/Academy front end, and RS7 surrounds, and am contemplating what to purchase for rear center duty. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 06-10-2002 at 09:12 PM

colin, that's a good ? when you take into account the 360 panning along with fly over head effect. i'd lean more toward the rc-7 or matching monopole though because the panning across the sides/back should be more prevalent & even w/ fly over like w/ 6.1 discrete even perfectly matched speakers will have some timbre dif at that distance & w/ the speak located behind the ears (psychoacoustics).

again before i get blasted, my opinion here & there are no absolutes. only hopefully helpful opinion. cwm4.gif

& this doesn't involve whether to use wdst vs directs for side surrounds. so far anyway. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-10-2002 at 10:04 PM

Boa,

Thanks -- really appreciate the great input and opinion. Long term (and space permitting), I'm contemplating picking up Forte IIs to match my Chorus II/Academy front end for 5 channel music applications. But for home theater, I really like the sound of the RS-7 WDST technology, despite the timbre mismatch with the front end. Sooo, I think I'll run different surrounds for music vs. HT applications.

Like you, I agree -- just one user's preference, and there are no absolutes (except death and taxes).

Looks like I'll need to start saving my pennies for an RC-7!!

Thanks again,

C

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 06-10-2002 at 10:17 PM

right on - i added the C7 for a rear center between the cornwalls & while not an ideal match there it still has been a great supplement to the overall sound. & it's a

great match of course to the front array for the fly overs. kinda the reverse of your situation colin (& all monopoles to boot), but sounds great here.

great idea. put that denon a & b surround feature to work. Smile.gif when i do even 2 channel music on the 6 speakers & sub it sounds like i got a recording studio crankin here. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa -

Thanks again for the feedback. I've got a KLF-C7 in storage, but am hesitant to use it for rear center duty, as I'd be mixing speakers from three different Klipsch lineages (Heritage, Reference, and Legend). HornEd has drilled into my head that that's a no-no from a timbre matching perspective. So I guess I need to save for that RC-7.

I only WISH more manufacturers would adopt the Denon approach and put separate outputs for music vs. HT surrounds. As I look to upgrade my pre/pro, that's on my shopping list of features I want. If I can't find it, I suspect I'll have to see if anyone makes a speaker selector with RCA level line inputs and outputs. That way I can insert it between my pre/pro and my amps.

Aragon, are you listening???

Colin

------------------

My System

colin, imo legends match pretty well w/ heritage, but not well w/ reference. course I haven't heavily demoed

the new ref speaks, & hear the new ones do match fairly well w/ heritage.

might want to check www.russound.com (per keith)

oh, & sorry colin. for some reason thought u had a denon. Redface.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-11-2002 at 11:43 AM