Brahms Fourth at Strathmore, May 4, 2013; And all-Wagner on June 1, 2013

LarryC

Yep, Mars is stunning. Planets and Carmina look like two of the most appealing and popular (as in favorites among classical audiences, not "pop") works of the 20th century. Both works recommended for Jeff.

Unfortunately, a family issue has arisen, and I will be heading out of town this weekend, just not toward Bethesda. I have let Larry know already to decrease the dinner reservation by one. I will miss this wonderful gathering, as well as a great concert experience.

That being said, there is a paid ticket in Larry's hands. If there is anyone who would like to join the crowd, please let Larry know. Gary - maybe you could convince your lovely wife to partake in this with you.

Sorry I won't be with you tomorrow evening, but I will be there in spirit, and I will try again to make one of the gatherings in the near future. Enjoy the show, all.

Chuck

What an awesome evening last night!

First, the dinner was very nice as usual there at that Black Market Bistro place.

The performance itself was done really well. The seat that I was in turned out to be really nice. I was basically in the dead center of the orchestra level, with my seat just above stage level looking slightly down into the orchestra itself. I think I was pretty much sitting in the "sweet spot" as the acoustic was really incredible from my seat.

About the music itself, the first piece, Schicksalslied ("Song of Destiny"), was a very beautiful piece. The second piece, Alto Rhapsody, I did not quite enjoy as much as the first piece, but that soprano, Denyce Graves, really did put in a very impressive performance, though. Followed by intermission, which was then in-turn, followed by the "main event" of the evening, which was ab absolutly incredible performance of Brahm's Symphony No. 4 in E Minor! That first movement just had me sitting there in awe! The second movement was a bit more mellow, almost "pastoral" for a lock of a better term. The third and especially the fourth movements both really fascinating to just listen to and take in as well. I really loved how that fourth movement was using variations of a theme. Overall, it really was exellent evening of dinner followed by music.

I am already looking forward to the Wagner performances on the 1st of June. I've also went and booked a ticket for the Carmina Burana performance on the 6th. Bummer that is Thursday night, but still. I did manage to get a seat up in the promenade section. The seats directly above the stage were not available (either due to being sold out, or because of the chorus), but I did manage to get a seat in the section immediatly next to those, so will still be a neat view of the orchestra. It was not cheap at $95, but I have always wanted to see an actual performance of Carmina Burana, so I am excited about that.

Before I forget, I want to say thanks to Larry for arranging this and putting it together. I think that Planets performance in November will be an excellent candidate for another such gathering. Gary already said he'd love to go to that as that is one of his most favorite of classical performances as well. If nobody else goes, I will most likely still get a ticket anyway and just go myself!

Yet another successful jaunt masterminded by our own Classical Guru, Larry Clare. Excellent repast. Superb seats located right where any self-respecting audiophile would expect to be, and an engaging and stirring musical program.

What Steve didn't mention is that the first two selections needed the singing abilities, or not one, not two, but three separate choirs, as well as a full symphony. Just think. Most of us make do with the standard 4-piece band, drummer, base guitar, lead guitar and lead singer. That's less than the First Violin section in a real orchestra! (PS. The second violinist in from the front of the stage in the 3rd section was smoking hot).

Cutest moment of the night was when the back row of the mens choir was filing into their seats. They didn't all fit in before receiving the order to sit down. They then had to play "bump and scoot" while siting down until they all fit in. Kinda fun given the normal formality of most classical renditions.

Sorry you missed it Chuck. It was a great night.

Sorry for the late arrival. Terrific evening as usual for the annual Larry-fest (t-shirts will be available next year). I agree with the assessment thus far. My favorite part of the evening's performance by far was the beautiful 1st movement of Brahms Fourth Symphony. I had Larry to my right helping me pick out the development and recapitulation (hope I got that right), reminding me of the music sessions we used to have during my lunch hour back when I worked around the corner from his place. This might have been my first time going to a concert without knowing the music at all.

It was also great seeing the usual suspects (Marty & Steve) and we missed Chuck and Mr. Lindsey who usually attends these events. I hope to see all of you at the next show, whether it be The Planets or something else.

Thanks again Larry for all your hard work putting this together!

No tye-dye Mark but I had perfect taper seats - last row of center orchestra. I do not believe they allow tapers at classical shows however I did see a group of guys in tuxedos swapping CDs in the parking lot after the show. I overheard one say "You gotta hear this version of Beethoven's 7th, Reiner, Chicago '58. 2nd violin was on fire!"

I hope my musical mind matures someday to where I can sit and enjoy something like that. I know it's great stuff. Right now, I can't sit still long enough for that........and stay awake!! Seriously, you guys are well beyond where I'm at with classical music........which is nowhere. I need some growth in this area. It sounds like you all had excellent seats and that it was a very good show. Congrats.

I hope my musical mind matures someday to where I can sit and enjoy something like that. I know it's great stuff. Right now, I can't sit still long enough for that........and stay awake!! Seriously, you guys are well beyond where I'm at with classical music........which is nowhere. I need some growth in this area.

Mark, that's one reason I've worked at these for a few years -- some very knowledgeable and perceptive people have never been able to "break into" classical music. But I don't think it's that hard! Gary, for example, was very quick to pile up a lot of knowledge. It seems to me this is as good a way as any to work on accomplishing that.

• 1 month later...

In addition to the Brahms performance back in May, I've also attended the All-Wagner performance as well as a Carmina Burana performance that took place just this past Thursday evening.

First the All-Wagner performance. They played a very good cross-section of much of Wagner's better known works. Some of the highlights included the Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin, Prelude to Tannhauser, Die Walkure: "Ride of the Valkyries", and Gotterdammerung: "Siegfried's Funeral Music" amonsgt many others. To me, the highlight of the evening was hearing that Prelude to Tannhauser. My, what an absolutly beautiful and majestic piece that is! Of course, it was awesome to get to hear a really nice rousing performance of "Flight of the Valkyries". Figured no Wagner performance would be complete with out that! [H] Over all, it really was an excellent evening and the National Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of conductor Piotr Gajewski rendered these performances extremely well. That was actually a pretty long evening of performance as well, as they did cover quite a bit of material, probably one of the longer perfomances that I can recall (did not get out of there until nearly 11 PM and it started at 8).

Then Thursday evening, I got to see a performance of Carmina Burana put on by the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BTW, the National Philharmonic also was putting on a Carmina Burana performance this weekend the 8th and 9th). With the BSO performance, I got to sit up in the promonade section that we typically like to sit during performances, as it affords a really good view of the orchestra itself. It is really cool to watch the various instruments being played and how they interact with each other (in addition to just listening for it). Also, got an excellent view of the chorous itself as I was practically sitting right next to it. The evening started out with a couple of modern percussion pieces by one Christopher Rouse. Anything thast was composed within the span of my own lifetime is considered "modern" as far as I am concerned (in this case, 1972). I have to admit that they were really cool to see and hear being performed. That was followed by a performance of Sensemaya by Silvestre Revueltas. It was an interesting piece, but did not really blow me away, though. That was followed by intermission, and then the "main event", a complete performance of Orff's Carmina Burana! I've always loved this and when those opening lines of "O Fortuna" started, I can just feel the hairs on my back stand up! The Baltimore Symphonay Orchestra, under the hands of Marin Alsop, really did deliver. Not only that, but the chorus, the Morgan State University Choir under the direction of Eric Conway, and the Peobody Children's Chorus, under the direction of Doreen Felby, also delivered some stunning performances. The vocal soloists, Robin Johannse, Soprano, John Tessier, Tenor, and Brian Mulligan, Baritone also delivered some very strong and beautiful performances. That really was an awesome performance by everyone involved. It was quite a standing ovation at the end by the audience. I was also darn near tempted to want to go back up there again this weekend and see the National Philharmonic performance as well and see how they do. It if wasn't such a PITA go get up there (through the traffic and dealing with the trains and what-not), I probably would be more inclinded to go. Also, a side note. Right before the Carmina Burana performance itself started, this was the last performance of the BSO for this season. It turns out that both the 1st Violnist and the 1st Bassist are retiring, this was going to be thier very last performance as part of the orchestra proper. These two gentlemen were part of the orchestra for 42 and 50 years respectively (been in longer than I was alive!). They both got lifetime passes for all future performances, plus each got a large picture signed by everyone in the orchestra. Was pretty neat to see.

Overall, two really good nights of performances and actually looking forward to The Planets in November.