HF dispersion and horns

coolhandjjl

you can buy the mid horn used in the KLF series from Klipsch for about $20.00 each standard one inch screw on mount you pick the driver These CD horns are good to 20KHz and are used as such in some of the pro series. What is it that you are considering? What is wrong with a K79? Drop in the ti diaphragms and tweak a little they sound fine. Best regards Moray James.

PS: I guess I should also ask why you want wider dispersion and you did not say "compared to what?"

This Eminence horn on the Crites tweeter driver (Eminence APT-50) sounds great on my LaScalas. You may get massive amounts of side reflections, but in my roomthey sound great.

The newer version of the horn won't thread onto the older version of the APT-50, so you would need to check which threading you have. I have mine mounted on baffles on the top of my LS.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-711

Bruce

post-7149-13819823778406_thumb.jpg

John Luke: what speakers are you running right now? What is it that has prompted you to want a tweeter horn lens with wider dispersion? Are you looking to generate a wider sweet spot or are you experiencing too much high frequency energy on axis? A little more information would be useful. Thanks. Best regards Moray James.

I'm building a speaker that will do double duty as hi-fi and PA. It is a bi-amp system, I have a HF Eliptrac 400 tractrix horn that will most liikely cover it all from 400Hz and up, but if I heed to add a bit of sparkle on top, I'm looking at options. I currently have the Eminence ASD 1001 driver with a Selenium HC23-251" exponential horn, but if it's not what I am looking for, I'll look at other options suggested here.

The Eighteen Sound XT120 is nice, I would also look at the Faital Pro STH-100, a similar product.

http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product_simple&pid=179

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/schede/hrn.php?id=903010100

Dennis,

Have you got any experience using the Faital Pro STH-100 horn? I could not make that horn work well with any driver I tried. The horn seems to just take a dive above 10khz. I like the Faital LTH 102 and LTH 142 horns, but could not get good performance out of the smaller tractrix horn.

Bob Crites

"Have you got any experience using the Faital Pro STH-100 horn? "

No, I am thinking about buying a pair to try them out.

Have you tried the Eighteen Sound? I've got the biggest ones and they're OK with some good 1.4" drivers (Radian, Beyma, etc).

• 3 weeks later...

The lens on a CT125 is a diffraction horn. I did not think to ask before but have you tried using this horn in its intended orientation which is long axis vertical? That will result in the widest possible horizontal dispersion. Sorry I did not think to ask this until now. The CT125 is a very nice sounding tweeter by the way. I am sure that Bob Crites can give you the dispersion figures for this horn lens, it is the same as an EV T35. Best regards Moray James.

The lens on a CT125 is a diffraction horn. I did not think to ask before but have you tried using this horn in its intended orientation which is long axis vertical? That will result in the widest possible horizontal dispersion. Sorry I did not think to ask this until now. The CT125 is a very nice sounding tweeter by the way. I am sure that Bob Crites can give you the dispersion figures for this horn lens, it is the same as an EV T35. Best regards Moray James.

So if you use it horizontally on a Klipsch type of speaker in a living room, you get nice up and down dispersion for sitting down, standing, up, etc, and since you have two speakers placed wide apart, that covers enough dispersion for walking around the room?

personally I like the way they sound in the vertical a little more than how they do with the long axis horizontal which results in more floor and ceiling bounce. It is easy to try them on top of your cabinet in both positions then you can decide which you like best yourself. You can also easily time aline them as Bruce did (see his photo). I also like using a K79 with the long axis horizontal and a 38 mm ball inserted into the lens mouth to provide diffraction for better dispersion. This works very well and is dirt cheap to do easy to try.Best regards Moray James.