How to recone a K-33 woofer

mustang guy

OK, it took me awhile to get the photos loaded but here they are;

post-52529-0-34460000-1425506447_thumb.j

post-52529-0-78020000-1425506477_thumb.j

post-52529-0-64420000-1425506757_thumb.j

The surround is cloth without any of the butyl coating and there are eyelets in the cone which I believe the voice coil leads get threaded through to the terminals.  When I received the parts the cones very dusty, as if they had set around for some time. 

Edited by toolz

The setup looks like the one I had with the exception of the lack of rubberizing on the surround and your has the holes for the tinsel leads pre-drilled. You might want to check the DC resistance of the voice coil and see if it is about 3.4-3.5 ohms. The K-33 is a 4 ohm driver, and those are the specs DCR of the square and the round magnet versions. At least this way you will know it is indeed a K-33 recone kit. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of the lack of butyl on the surround. As for the holes, you need to make sure you have the tinsels aligned when you glue it all together or you will be either starting over or patching the holes.  :)

After discussion with some of the "old hands", Trey has indicated the recone kits I received will not work with the 1976 high basket, large square magnet K33.  The kits I received are for current production round magnet K-33-E.  :(  

Any ideas as to a product to apply to stiffen the soft sagging paper cone?

Or just get new drivers?

Edited by toolz

I assume you mean the spider is sagging. Or do you mean the cone itself is somehow sagging.

I had a set of K-24-K's I bought used. They were in good condition, except for one thing. One of them had obviously been stored in such a way that the spider was pushed back so far that the VC bottomed in the former with very little bass. I fixed it using Windex.  I saturated the surround and the spyder with windex, and stuffed enough batting between the frame and the cone to make the cone actually protrude a bit more than level. I let it air dry over night, and removed the towels. It worked like a charm, and the speakers are in use to this day with no problems.

There is a thread somewhere here which I will try to find and link to in this response.

Found it:  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151349-loose-cone-in-driver-but-it-still-works/

Edited by mustang guy

The speaker cone has 3 small sags about halfway up from the voice coil cover in the same horizontal plane.  It looks like the driver cone got wet or was in a very humid area while being played. It almost looks like the paper tried to fold up on itself. Tried to take a photo but the photo did not show what I am trying to describe.   

The speaker cone has 3 small sags about halfway up from the voice coil cover in the same horizontal plane.  It looks like the driver cone got wet or was in a very humid area while being played. It almost looks like the paper tried to fold up on itself. Tried to take a photo but the photo did not show what I am trying to describe.   

So about half way between the dust cover and the surround on the cone there are 3 small sags. I take it they are sort of like creases then. 

Has the cone lost its stiffness in those creased areas?  If it affects the sound, then maybe some glue to penetrate where the creases are on both sides of the cone will stiffen it back up. It may not look pretty, and it will add a bit of mass, but it may be better than  doing nothing.

I picture would help, no matter how bad it turns out. I have photoshop, so that may help me see what you are seeing.

After discussion with some of the "old hands", Trey has indicated the recone kits I received will not work with the 1976 high basket, large square magnet K33.  The kits I received are for current production round magnet K-33-E.  :(  

Any ideas as to a product to apply to stiffen the soft sagging paper cone?

Or just get new drivers?

By the way, hold on to those re-cone kits. You may have the last ones left on Earth. That means a lot.

Finding a pair of round magnet speakers that need re-coned may not be too hard. Just post a WTB in the garage sale area. :)

Edited by mustang guy