Replacing the Forte passive radiator

chuckears

I have loved my Fortes ever since purchasing them new in 1988; in recent years, I have swapped out the old crossovers with some nice Bob Crites builds, upgraded to Cardas binding posts, and installed titanium diaphragms in both tweeters. I have no intention if getting rid of these beauties any time soon, and was wondering about the lifespan of the passive radiators. I have noted a "catch" in the passives when I push them in a little... They both pause when returning back to position, and I don't recall that happening when they were new... Dayton makes a 12" pr for a fair price (I haven't measured to see if they will fit in the cut-out), and I am curious about thoughts or similar experiences with replacing the Forte passives...

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/sd315-pr-12-passive-radiator.html

How long is the "pause"? I am the original owner of forte II's circa 1992. I have 15" passives, although 4 years newer than your forte, 20+ years old as well.

How quuickly do you expect a retun after depressing? Remember they are sealed fairly tight. I guess I am trying to say why fix something that might not be broke?

Take care.

Just wanting to "future-proof" these speakers, since I intend to keep them pretty much forever; I would not want to find myself needing a part that is no longer available.

The "catch" happens about 1/2 to 1/4-inch on their way back to their original position, and lasts for about a second.

• 4 weeks later...

push on the passive the woofer moves out, push on the woofer the passive moves out, you want an air tight system but you won't get perfect. Fresh gaskets everywhere xover cup horns woofer passive and make sure the cabinet is air tight you will be good to go. Look for any air leaks on dust caps and suspensions of both the woofer and the passive. Since you will have your passives out to check why not add 2.5 ounces of dead weight to them and get yourself some more bass (deeper too). Best regards Moray James.