Distance between preamp and monos and speakers

ChipByrd

Hello,

My speakers are about 5 1/2 feet from my preamp.  I am about to go with mono-blocks and I am wondering if it's best to:

1) Run a 5 1/2' XLR from my preamp to monos (if i place them near the speaker) and then the shortest speaker wire possible?

2) Keep the monos as close to the preamp as possible and run 5 1/2 speaker wire?

3) It won't make a difference?

Thanks,

Chip

I can't help with any laws or principles, but I did what was practical and I had to. Most of my audio equipment earlier in the chain (TT, Tape, CDP, preamp) is in one room, and the bigger stuff (amps, speakers) in the listening room. That means mostly 1 m. I/C's in the first room and 2 m. speaker cables in the second.

Where I depart from most is the 8 m. (approx.) I/C runs from the preamp to my monoblocs. Each monobloc is as close to its K-horn as I can put it.

My connections are all single-ended RCA's -- none of my components have balanced connectors. The I/C's are very well shielded, and I have no problems with hum and only rare occasional RF.

It seems to be more a matter of aesthetics -- what appeals to you.

If I were doing it, I'd keep the monoblocks near the pre-amp. That way all low level connections are in one place and probably easy to trouble-shoot. Like jewels, having them clustered increases the 'pretty' factor. Also along this line, if you want an artful cabinet, having a central location might be better. Easy to display, easy to hide, when necessary.

If you put the monoblocks at or near the speakers you have to run a.c.power along with the xlr cable. A little messy, perhaps.

WMcD

If I were doing it, I'd keep the monoblocks near the pre-amp. That way all low level connections are in one place and probably easy to trouble-shoot. Like jewels, having them clustered increases the 'pretty' factor. Also along this line, if you want an artful cabinet, having a central location might be better. Easy to display, easy to hide, when necessary.

If you put the monoblocks at or near the speakers you have to run a.c.power along with the xlr cable. A little messy, perhaps

I couldn't do your suggestion, only had room near the speakers to put my amps because my audio side room is FULL of books, scores, book cases, LP and CD cabinetry, plus pre and other sound source items in the corner of a 9 X 11 room.

The power cords come to the amps from the opposite direction as the I/C's, but honestly I don't get much hum or noise from them any more. The solution to that was changing to the correct version of dimmer switch. However, I did have the house circuitry redone to metal-clad isolated ground wiring and receptacles and that helped a little.

I think the rule of thumb would suggest that all other things being equal, its better to run shorter speaker wire than IC's but in your case, 5 1/2' is a very short and isn't going to make any difference (I think any run under 20' isn't much of a concern). I agree with LarryC and WMcD's suggestions, its really a matter of aesthetics but I will note that its easier/cheaper to find 6-8' runs of good quality speaker wire than decent IC's so that may be a deciding factor. Have fun...

its better to run shorter speaker wire than IC's

I think this is backwards. Low level signals are more prone to trouble than amplified signals, so you should keep your line level signal interconnects short. XLR is advantageous for really long line level runs, but in your case, Chip, the difference would be negligible.