Replace or upgrade my Forte's?

Aardvark2300

I own a 20 year old pair of Klipsch Forte's - currently doing duty in my home theater room with a Klipsch Academy Center channel and Klipsch KG 2.5's for rears powered by a somewhat cheapie Pioneer VSX 1020 receiver (I spend most of money on my 2 channel rig elsewhere in the house) that seems to be doing pretty well. These Fortes sound dull and lifeless with not enough highs - in particular compared to my Focal 1027's in the other room - an admittedly totally unfair comparison..... what do you guys think - ditch em for a new midline pair of Klipsch KF-28's or spend $300 with Bob Crites to upgrade the crossovers - a mod getting lots of discussion these days? Of course I could just blame the receiver, but I sorta doubt that's the issue.

As you can tell, I am not into spending ton's o'bucks for my theater sound rig...

Open to suggestions, thanks!

I say upgrade, get new caps, and new tweeters for the Fortes, and Academy. IF you have any soldering skills you could replace the diaphrams, and caps for less then 200.00. I don't know much about your receiver, I do know there are a few forum members that have had good experiences so I couldn't see that being a issue. If you don't like the sound after the up grades you could sell to get your money back plus make a good profit.

Aardvark2300,

Welcome to the forum.

These Fortes sound dull and lifeless with not enough highs - in particular compared to my Focal 1027's in the other room - an admittedly totally unfair comparison.....

I agree with the rebuilt crossovers but for better highs IMO, the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms alone should cure that. While you are at it, order the"Crites Tites" for your Academy also.

Bill

I upgraded my Fortes with new (all from Bob Crites) crossovers, mid, and tweeter upgrades and very happy.

Give it a try seems like this would be cheaper than the new Klipsch model you menioned. If after the upgrades the Fortes are still not working for you you can sell them and get the new Klipsch.

I would contact Bob first and talk with him and If after the upgrades it is still not working with the Fortes and the Pioneer take them up to your 2 channel system and try them there.

If you still feel they don't sound right in your 2 channel system then maybe sell the Fortes.

What kind of settings do the Pioneer have for 5.1? Have you gone thru the settings to make sure something is off or sett too low?

No wonder you think the highs are dull, your Focals have berylium tweets that extend to 40k and the Forte's are phenolic, 20 years old and maybe stretch to 20k. I say get the crossover upgrade kit and upgrade the mid and tweeter diaphragms to titanium....just my 2 cents......Good luck!!..[8]

Thanks for the suggestions! I decided to go ahead and order new tweeter diaphrams from Bob Crites. looking forward to installing them this weekend, i will report my results. The crossovers will have to wait for another time.... mine are what Bob said were the "old version" with all the parts just soldered together in a big glob - ie no circuit board so I will be sending them in for him to do the work at some point.

and yes, I do like those Focal Tweets! (sorry !)