Pioneer Elite SC-68 + SACD

artto

Thanks!

I'm using a Sony SCD5400es for CD/SACD.

At the moment, while the room gets turned around and maintenance done (all the high-end equipment is either out of the way or out of the room) I'm using an older Panasonic XR57 all digital reciever borrowed from Quiet Hollow. I've had some problems getting it to recognize SACD via HDMI and with getting the center channel to work. Since posting my question I think I may have resolved this issue but not completely sure yet.

I know Pioneer has their own version of SACD/DSD input (PQLS) which is (supposedly) not compatible with Sony's H.A.T.S. process but Sony doesn't have a reciever or amplifier with all digital throughput. So I'm not quite sure what to expect, if anything. It might just be all marketing hype about the incompatibility.

Also, I don't think I can combine amplifier channels on the SC-68 to get more power to the front channels as can be done on the Panny.

I'm seriously thinking of dumping the analog McIntosh stuff and going the SC-68 route. I've been trying to simplify things and it just seems to keep getting more complicated. I'm thinking maybe something like the SC-68 will let me have cake and eat it too so to speak.

I think I've isolated an issue and I'm wondering if this is an isolated issue between the Panasonic XR-57 and the Sony SACD player, or it this is something I might also experience if I connect the Sony to a Pioneer SC-68.

When I have the Panasonic set to use the HDMI input so that I can have the Sony player in SACD mode, the Sony must be set to multi-channel in order for the Panasonic to produce a center channel output. However, in this configuration the Panasonic does not send any output to the subwoofers.

If I set the Sony player to SACD stereo the Panny will output to the subwoofers but I loose the center channel.

It doesn't matter whether I have the speakers set to large or small, same result.

I'm hoping the Pioneer Elite SC series doens't have this kind of incompatibility.

I think I've isolated an issue and I'm wondering if this is an isolated issue between the Panasonic XR-57 and the Sony SACD player,

I think so but have no experience with that particular Sony or Panasonic. The PQLS function is to decrease jitter over HDMI. Checkout the AVS Pioneer Elite SC 68 thread, some of the people over there have had their SC 68 for a while and may be able to give you an answer. The Elite avr's have under audio parameters, a gain setting for SACD's that may boost the center channel.