What's the optimum way to drive K-Horns if I wanted the best sound possible?

brucelee6783

" I am down to about 3 for my Khorns now. All SET amps. a 45, 2A3 and a 300B."

Colin, I'd like to hear a little bit more about your experience with SET amps and Khorns. I tried 2 different 300b AN kit amps and I didn't see much in the way of bass. I did when I put a Carver EL84 push pull amp on. Interesting

Not Colin, but it was my quote.

SET amps excell in the midrange. I do have a sub woofer that I turn on once in awhile, but could easily live without it.

BTW - 300B amps are not close to my favorite SET amp. Try a 45 or 2A3 for a 'True SET experience'

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Cut throat, funny, I didn't like the 2A3 but love the 300b. So, you are using a sub with your Khorns, interesting

Thanks

Tinpan

I should have prefaced my statement with the type of music you listen to. I like the 45 and 2A3 amps for small Jazz Combos and Female vocal type music, which is what Ilisten to about 95% of the time. If you listen to a lot of rock music on your home system, you would probably prefer the 300B or a Push-Pull Tube amp.

To hear a SET 45 or 2A3 amp 'bloom' in your room, you need to put on some Diana Krall and she will appear (in your ears) in your listening room.

So, did I guess correctly, that you are mostly listening to other types of music ? Rock or Cuntry ?

I think you and I listen to similar music.

Here's a play list I am listening to right now:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Eva Cassidy- Live at Blues Alley
When Sunny Gets the Blues- Charlie Rouse
You Haven't Done Nothing Yet- Jen Chapin
Nick of Time - Sunny Sumpter
Alberta- Whop Frazier
Mellow Saxaphone - Chuck Brown
Fish Out of Water- Lhasa
Black Sheep - Martin Sexton - Live Wide Open
Moon River- Jacinta
11:11 - Rodrigo & Gabriella

Are you familiar with any of these guys?

I had a Bottle Head 2A3 and I auditioned a bunch including Audio Note, Synthesis, Deja Vu and Border Patrol. I also listened to a few 45 I just didn't hear the sweet spot untill I heard an Audio Notes 300b amp. That's when I heard the sweet spot. I use these amps on Lowther full range drivers and a couple Altec A7 and EV horn systems I have. I am a die hard Klipsch nut like everyone on here. My other allegiance is to Lowther full range drivers, although the Altec A7 VOTT is the best sounding speaker on SET amps I have.

I know a lot of folks here swear by SET amps on Khorns, I just don't see it. Mine seem to prefer push pull amps like an EL 84. The 300b would produce more bass than a 2A3 and it wasn't enough to drive that woofer. Khorns have such sweet bass I don't think that can be over looked. And btw you are cheating if you are using a subwoofer on your SET amp ..lol. Shhhh... I won't tell anyone.[;)]

In discussing the relative merits or demerits of a specific tube one needs to make such comparisons with the same output transformers at the very least. To conclude that a 300B, for example, produces more bass than a 2A3 or 45 may not be valid if the amps using those tubes all have different opts. But, without question, when dealing with SETs the relationship between amp, cables, and speakers is important due to the generally high output impedance of that type of amplifier.