ATTN: DFW Great Free Music this Sunday

Mallette

If you're short on something for Sunday evening, like great Christmas music and pipe organ, I'd recommend the Church of the Annunciation, Lewisville. Here's a link: http://www.annunciationlewisville.org/concerts.html

I've been asked to record, and unless I find a major flaw in my rig (gathering now for testing, as it's been stored for several years) Ron (Lonelobo) and I will be there to record the proceedings. He still has his house in Flower Mound so we'll head up from Houston on Friday.

I hate to "oversell," but even regular Sunday services at this church are a feast for the eyes and ears...even for an atheist! It practices the high church rites of the the Anglican catholic tradition and when we'd have the Romans over for our ecumenical services during Holy Week we used to say "We're going to show them how catholic is done!" Heard a Baptist visitor at a funeral one time exclaim "Well, I am not changing my affiliation...but when I die I'd like to be buried from HERE."

Stephen, the music minister, is an incredibly fine organist and recent PhD from UNT...but his teacher and mentor will be playing this service. There will be preliminary music at 6:30.

I note the piece on the organ link is the one I wrote for something or the other way back. I ramrodded this instrument and made a couple of trips to its original home in Sarasota to procure it, then lived through its year long removal, rebuilding by Patrick Murphy, and installation by Dan Garland. It's one of the things of which I am most proud.

YMMV, but I hope not. Ron and I will be pretty obvious near the boom mikes on the floor so stop and say "hey" if you come.

Dave

... can this recording that you plan to make be purchased on cd?

If it works out to my satisfaction I'll put it up for download somewhere.

Tested my basic system last night and I have some concerns about connection reliability. As I said, it's been several years and I don't really have a dedicated rig anymore. This will likely cause me to fix that. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll rig both my Ocktava ribbons and a pair of Beyer ribbons as well. I have 4 inputs on my tube mike preamp, so I'll run an "alibi" recording on my Korg DSD recorder and a 24/88.2 on the PC.

Dave

Crikey...spent every spare moment this week trying to re-assemble and test my rig. A NIGHTMARE!

I won't go into the details but if anything could either be wrong or missing, it was or is.

I've attempted to "alibi" everything possible but still am very concerned. Have my car loaded up and about to turn in as I go to work at dark thirty. Ron and I will head out from the shop.

I'll have all day Saturday to rig up at Lonelobo's house and test, but not much I can do about any key pieces that may not be right.

Man, I gotta get my stuff together before I commit again...

Dave

Well, it's the day. I am going to the main service this morning, then setup around 4.

I did a complete setup and test yesterday. All seems to be in order is now repacked and ready to go.

Of course, I remain quite concerned as it's been several years and I went through quite a few issues getting two independent mike chains setup and tested.

Will report.

Dave

Sheesh. Just tried it from work and it either played or saved just fine. Irritating, as I've decided this may be the finest performance of the C Major Prelude I've ever heard. Listening to it I had an insight that it was that six note descending bass that stuck in Bach's mind and wouldn't go away and he sat down and put the rest on top. Extraordinary. It's certainly been stuck in mine for the past few days...

Give it another shot. Maybe my site providers servers glitched or something. I can't troubleshoot what I can replicate...

Let me know.

Dave

I enjoy the music, I'm limited to puny computer speakers at home and work to hear it with. That's why I asked if you have it on disc, so I could give it a proper airing out at homeWink.

No laptop to plug in????

It IS 16/44.1 if you want to burn that track. It's going to take me a while...especially at this time of year...to fully edit this hour and a half of stuff. I'll do one for the religious class that's a complete service, and one with just the "professional" music of the organist, choir, and chamber singers.

Dave

Don't own a laptop. If I did, I'd then have to figure out how to get the signal to my HT.

If your HT has a USB port you can play it straight off a thumb drive. Many of them do these days. As to a laptop, tablet, or whatever, you just plug a mini stereo into the headset out to RCA.

Anyway, whenever we have the build party over at my place or I get back your way I'll burn something for you if you wish.

Dave