small apartment subwoofer

lne937s

I want to buy a subwoofer, but I live in a small apartment in Brooklyn. I do not need it to be loud and would not even be able to use it a high volume.

I just want something to fill out the bottom octave for music.

Here's what I do want:

Relatively cheap

Good Xover

Plays low

Tight

relatively small

no distortion

fast- it has to keep up with my mains

any suggestions?

Larry

might be, no will be too expensive, but REL makes some EXCELLENT small subs.

if you are somewhat of a handy man, i can lead you to some sites that teach you how to build your own sub, will cost very little to build but will give you very expensive sounding sound. if you ar ein an apartment, maybe you can use a friends house to build them?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Larry,

Some great compact subs

REL Q200E

Sunfire Mark IV

Carver Knight Shadow

Velodyne HGS10

Velodyne SPL800 and 1000

And not to forget the M&K VX100 and MX700

If you want the maximum value for your dollar get the Carver Knight Shadow,it gives all the much more expensive competition a kick in the woofer. Wink.gif

Seriously the Carver Knight Shadow does all this...the second choice would be the VX100.The VX100 has less deep bass output and matches better with small sat speakers.Both are on the must listen/compare list.

Relatively cheap

Good Xover

Plays low

Tight

relatively small

no distortion

fast- it has to keep up with my mains

And even can output 108dB at 31.5Hz!All this from a 11" cube!And priced under $600 in many stores.

Find me another compact sub at this price that outperforms the Carver.You'll find none,trust me I had them all at home and all are priced well above plus dont even perform better.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 06-15-2002 at 10:10 AM

I was getting my appendix out, so I haven't had time to reply.

I like the suggestions so far, but want to make one thing clear- I do not need it to be loud

I can't use a loud subwoofer.

I need quality over quantity. Oh and cheap would be good to.

I'll research those suggestions ASAP

thanks

Larry

"Oh and cheap would be good to."

What is cheap for you? define cheap

The least expensive quality compact subwoofer is the Carver Knight Shadow.

If cheap is under $300 and you want a very compact sub then you can almost forget about quality unless you go for a DIY sub.

And be warned many low quality garbage dump boom boxes like the Sony WM40 get great reviews(reviews written by newbies with no real reference)on some FREE FOR ALL review sites.Just beware,as many of these brand name subs are poorly constructed from sub standard parts and are very colored(boomy).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Agree with theEAR - I had bought into the SONY WM40 hype, and purchased one when I pieced together my first HT system. You get what you pay for. If this is all you can afford, it is definitely better than nothing, and this is the SONY's niche. If you want quality, though, beware going too cheap.

Larry, I am afraid you will have to ask Curly and Moe for a sub that can keep up with your mains and fill in the first octave that's also cheap. They might be able to get a Great Dane with a first octave woof from the animal shelter. For with your sub standards... any cheap sub is likely to be a dog!

The things you prize in a sub will run the cost up to two or three times the $300 TheEar marked price. That's about what a Carver Knight Shadow will run new... and it's tough to find anyone willing to sell theirs used.

Frankly, quality subs that are adequate for your situation have the ability and SPL's to get the bass right (no boom or bust wannabees) in the first octave without "entertaining" the neighbors.

For someone who knows what he wants in a sub, it probably would be better to haunt the used sub sources in the local paper or on the net... rather than spending money on something that will constantly remind you of your compromise.

Good deals also come to those who save and wait. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-20-2002 at 10:54 PM

And more...

Cheapo subs distract and distort your music and movies,cheapie subs(bass modules)belong in the PC sound arena where boom is still a big plus to some.

The least expensive quality sub is the Carver Knight Shadow,at around $600 its the only compact sub I would buy under $700.It is capable of 108dB at 31.5Hz(very good)and has good definition with this special slam.The sub is sealed and the heavy duty driver sits in a very rigid box that does not resonate like all the cereal boxed value subs.All in all you get Sunfire built quality and most of its performance for half the price of a Sunfire!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I will have to agree with the snob, oh, I mean TheEAR. I $200 8" sub will sould like crap, so go for somthing a little nicer.

Remember, even if the sub does play loud, you have full control of the volumeSmile.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

"I will have to agree with the snob"

You bet your house sized giant JBL subwoofa I am a genuine SNOB!

cwm5.gif

I like tormenting and poking users of vastly inferior audio gear. MUA HA HA HA

All this in the name of pain!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Don't rule out a previous generation JBL, Polk, or etc. sub that WAS $600-$1000+, they can be had for $200-$400 on line. Even a KSW-10 or 12 would rock your would (and neighboorsSmile.gif)

TheEAR, Smile.gif - You should go to a Bose demo at Fry's Electronics (California). WHat they do is sit about 20-30 people in a "Bose Theater" (the Acoustamass system) and show you how good it is. However, they use a large Bose Pro sub (dual 12's + 500 watts of power) and have KRELL driving the cubes (Aztec store in San Jose, a few years ago), they also have EQ's on everything. Not to mention, a 100" FP to dazzel you with video goodness. Obviously, they have screened (and re-EQed?) all the stuff they show.

The last thing you hear is the Acoustamass system.

I would love to go there with you, it would be fun! You could liberate the Bose Theater (I think they spell it Theatre)

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Ken,

Even if you would use Z-Systems digital EQ's and the best amplification under the sun you dont get true high fidelity sound.B0$e is a lost case,they are now regarded as a circus brand name by almost all audiophiles.

I make fun of B0$e at any store that sells these distorting cubes.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

No, they didn't sound good, I think they were trying to squeeze the last gram of preformance out of the cubes. The "additional" subwoofer is another story. If asked, I have no doubt they would tell you it was to "simulate" what a "normal" room would sound like, if you had two more bottom octaves!

------------------

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had budgeted around $500 for a sub but need quality sound. I can go higher. I am currently recovering from getting my appendix out- but I want to get out there and hear these before I buy one. I am really

Since having both quantity and quality is going to be very expensive, and since I can not use too much volume, I figured there was someone out there that took the quality over quantity approach. It has to be tight and fast.

I'm going to use this mostly with music and my mains play flat to 50Hz and I will probably set the crossover close to that- so detail is key.

There is no way I would ever buy anything from BO$E.

Right now, I'm looking @ SVS 16-46. The Carver also sounds interesting. Any other suggestions.

How about some simple DIY ideas (I don't have very much room for construction) or kits?

thanks

Larry

Larry,

I just bought a SVS 25-31CS with a 22Hz tuned port. I must say, I have never heard a more accurate sub. It is tight, punchy, fast, but linguring when it needs to be. And I even used to sell hi-end stuff several years ago. Of course, back then you needed a couple of K to buy a quality sub.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

SVS 25-31 CS: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

Sub amp: Onkyo M-5000

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

Amp: Onkyo M-5000 (2ch.)

CD Player: Yamaha CDC-767

Outdoor Speakers: Klipsch HS-2

What about a cheaper SVS, like the PCi series? Self-powered, good looking, lamp on top.

------------------

Ine937s

I don't know if you saw my post of 6-26-02 just below yours but as I stated I will sell you a brand new KSW-12 for $300 and ship it to Brooklyn. Most of my electronics (not speakers) came from your area anyway (J&R Electronics). They were great to deal with and very cost effective!

The KSW-12 is a good sub (not top of the line by any means) but would be a great value for what I am asking. It might be slightly large for your apartment but the one I am ordering (SVS) is much larger.

Thought I would past this on before I put it on eBay or in my local paper.