specs on KLF speakers...help

montigue

I'm looking at the manual for the KLF 10, 20 and 30. Frequency response on the 10 is lower than the 20 or 30.

Frequency response:

KLF 10...32 Hz-20 kHz+3 db

KLF 20...34 Hz-20 kHz+3 db

KLF 30...36 Hz-20 kHz+3 db

does this mean that the KLF 10 has lower bass than the other's. If so, is it because its in a smaller enclosure?

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Mitsubishi 55" HD widescreen tv

Toshiba pro scan DVD audio player

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Harman Kardon AVR 65 receiver

SVS 20/39 subwoofer w/Samsom S1000 amp

Montigue

I auditioned the KLF 10's, 20's, and 30's and ended up with the 10's. In my opinion and also my salesman's, the KLF 10's had the best bass output of the three models and also the best balance. The 20's and 30's seem to have a predominance of midrange that over-rode the upper and low end. I don't see many comments on this forum by KLF 10 owners but I think this model has been highly under rated. They replaced my Definitive Technology BP 2002's which are very highly rated by the press. The KLF 10's have the same balanced sound only with a lot more impact and realism. Doors slamming, phones ringing, etc. are all very accurately reproduced. The Definitives just didn't do that. cwm16.gif

I'm going to stick my neck out here since I'm not sure if I know what I am talking about. I attribute this to the higher efficiency of the other two speakers. Unfortunately, specs are specs and can be misleading when taken out of context. Since the 20's and then 30's have higher efficiency (I believe due to the addition of a second horn, and lowering the x-over to the woofers) the woofers have to work harder to maintain the same db levels of the 2 horns. Because of this, the woofers can only extend to 34 and 36 hz levels with a 3db drop at that kind of efficiency rating.

Maybe I'm way off base, but that's what I've always believed. FWIW, I own 10's and love them, but I do believe the 20's are better. I'm not a huge fan of the 30's for music, but they are the best of the trio for movies. JMO.

think i remember bobg saying that it was due to the cabinet designs & tuning. though i always thought a bigger cabinet all other things equal yielded more extension. cwm5.gif

i wonder some about the measurements too myself.

but the 30s definitely have louder bass/more impact at 40hz or so on up. their sub 40hz performance is not so important for me as i have them crossed & starting to get filtered to the sub at 50hz anyway. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

very interesting information, Thanks guys. I'm defenitly going with the 10's. They do sound really good and make an excellent center channel speaker as well.

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF 10 Horned converted center channel

Mitsubishi 55" HD widescreen tv

Toshiba pro scan DVD audio player

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Harman Kardon AVR 65 receiver

I'll throw in my opinion on the KLF's as I own all three models.

The 10 is a good speaker and makes an excellent CC as mentioned before. Mine sounds MUCH better than my C-7 when paired with the 30's.

I was running the 10's as surrounds and they just couldn't keep up with the 30's up front. I've now got 20's and they sound much better. I'll move the 10's to the back center when I have room.

The 20/30's are more dynamic in the mid/highs than the 10's and seem to be more "in your face". This must be the sound I like as I love the 20/30's. While the 10's do have a good sound, they just don't seem to have the output.

Bass isn't really a concern as they're all crossed over at 80Hz with a dual 15" sub taking care of the low stuff.

I would still use YOUR ears as the judge cwm1.gif