Klipsch KLF 30

Salata

Hay, I got question. I'm close to make my decision about purchase KLF 30 but I heard a lot of opinion about not so good bass performance in this set. Currently I own 400W Cerwin Vegas AT 15 with 15' woofers and I don't planning using and buying sub. So please write your opinion about this subject.

This message has been edited by Salata on 06-16-2002 at 08:23 PM

quote:

Originally posted by easyeyes:

Do not believe the negative hpye about the KLF 30s not having bass; believe me, they have plenty of slam.

"Slam" is not exactly the same thing as bass.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Yeah, the Klipsch KLF-30s have good bass of their own, but I don't think it is enough to subsitute a subwoofer.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Arcam DV88

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Salata -

I used to sell the Cerwin Vega AT-15, and know the model well.

The AT-15 is a large rock and roll speaker with lots of low end. My complaint about the AT-15 is that it's OK at high volume (but boomy bass, to be sure) - but poor at low volume. Not a good imaging speaker, either. Not "clear" or detailed at all. I sold quite a few to bars/clubs due to the hefty build and big sound, but had many returns from those who purchased them for home use. And if that customer had listened to Klipsch - well, let's just say that I wasn't going to change their minds with the AT-15.

The big Klipsch models are what the AT-15 wishes it could be. The horn drivers in the Klipsch will bring out the clarity that is missing in the AT-15. Much better sounding at lower volumes, and much tighter bass. And at loud volumes - whoa!!! Very impressive!

If you like the AT-15's, you'll like the Klipsch KLF 30's even better, IMO. If the bass in the KLF-30 isn't enough for you, then consider a subwoofer. Any more bass than what is provided by the KLF-30 will require a subwoofer.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

klf-30's have kickin'bass,much tighter and accurate than cv's(which i liked and grew up with). if not for my rsw-15 bieng such a good sub,i would still be relying on the output of those 4-12"woofs only. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Good choice, Salata... I started with a pair of KLF-30's and now I am up to six KLF-30's in a 6.1 HT rig. The twelve 12" woofers in six KLF-30's are not shy about bass. If they were, the KLF-30's wouldn't have earned their reputation as great Rock n' Roll speakers.

However, I agree with dndphishin on the CV's... but really like bottom scraping bass... so I did dual SVS Ultras with a 1,000 watt Samson pro-style amp... and they go below 20Hz and blend perfectly with the KLF-30's.

Enjoy. We are looking forward to your review. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

I totally agree with "dndphishin" post about CV AT-15, they are good speakers but not great one. My friend have very old Heresy speakers which sound great thats why I'm into Klipsch. I still got AT-15 so when KLF 30 arrive I'll make decision which set I'm going to keep. Just in case what do you thinking about Cerwin Vegas 15' subwoofers, how they sounds with KLF 30 ? HornEd you got very nice set. What you got over Tv, my KLF C7 looks different.

cwm16.gif

This message has been edited by Salata on 06-17-2002 at 05:45 PM

That's a KLF-30 that I customized the motorboard to provide a horizontal version of the speaker... it's a good deal larger than a KLF-C7. The SB-2 Front Effects speakers in the photo have been upgraded to a pair of KLF-C7's as indicated in the text. Another change was mounting the SVS Ultras head-to-head to make a 7' tall sub tower that can go lower than 20Hz and belt it out at 122.5 dB's.

Using matched KLF-30's for LMain, CMain, RMain, RSurround, LSurround, and Rear Effects make as ideal a tone and timbre match for HT as I have been able to find. I have used KLF-10's as Front Effects speakers... but now prefer the more ethereal character and slight timbre differences of the KLF-C7's in that role. In fact, it was those timber differences that prompted me to build the KLF-30 center.

The front center speaker handles upwards of 75% of the total sound to all speakers on 6.1 DVD's... so it should be (IMHO) the most capable speaker of all. A great center speaker and an "adequate" subwoofer are the keys to great HT. -HornED