Anyone near Lexington, KY - Crites upgrade install

Hoenig

Just seeing if there is anyone near me that would have experience installing these improvements. If so, I pay well and tip with beer :)

I would screw it up before starting (never been good with tools/instructions). Let me know! I have the upgrade bug......

If your Forte's are more than 20-years old I'd seriously think about either having Bob update (i.e.: re-cap) the crossovers or just have him build you a new set.

Putting in the Ti diaphragms are pretty easy in the Forte's. It's the same one my KLF20's use. After you take out the horn/driver from the cabinet there's just 3 nuts that hold the horn onto the driver. The diphragm is sandwiched in between and are centered by some indexing studs. No soldering involved or swapping out crossover parts, etc.

Look here:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/replacing_the_diaphragm_on_.html

BTW: When reconnecting the wires, I would only use the push-on clips that came on the wires. DON'T solder them on. Doing that gives a good chance of damaging the voice coil and/or distorting the plastic that the wire tabs are attached to.

The thought of taking apart these speakers absolutely smells like trouble. I wasn't afraid to take apart one of my little Quintets in my garage but I didn't pay much for those either. I guess I am just too scared to start something I can't finish. Wish there was someone around Lexington that had experience doing these upgrades that wanted to make some extra cash.

Keep in mind, I am the only one in my group of friends that even cares about audio. I have a group of 30 year old friends that are much more into bars/clubs/women, unlike me (married), who likes to relax and jam out in my own home :)

I do not work on stuff, build stuff, fix stuff, etc.

Doing these upgrades by myself is not an option. Maybe it is time to just enjoy what I have, knowing that someday I have something to look forward to. As for now, my setup sounds incredible. I have the patience to wait until some audiophile DIY guy moves into my neighborhood [:$]

I just reinstalled my newly rebuilt Crites networks last week, and I work in health care. So, I was you a couple weeks ago. All I needed was a phillips screwdriver, and believe me it was easier taking out drivers and crossovers than I thought. I know you can do this, and after you do it you will be glad you did(like I am). You are the audiophile guy in your circle, embrace it and take the lead. My wife thought I was crazy taking apart my speakers, and for a moment I did too. But now my speakers sound better than they did when new.