Is there a place to get tubes tested?

I have an AES PH-1 phono stage that I have plugged into the AUX input on my Denon Receiver. It is a big improvement over the phono stage in the Denon. Eventually, it will be used in an all tube 2-channel system with my La Scala's when I can scrape enough money together.

I have started to notice that the hum I was hearing early on has since gotten worse. It used to be the volume could go to -10 before I heard it but now it can be heard at -20. At -10 it is VERY annoying. Is it possible that one of the tubes (or more) is bad? If so, where does one go to get tubes tested? If that is not the problem, does anyone have other ideas?

I have a Dual CS-5000 with a Shure V15V-MR cartridge with brand new stylus. The dual is plugged into the inputs of the AES and then another pair of RCA's run from the outputs to the Denon inputs. The AES is plugged directly into the wall, the turntable is plugged into the Denon and the Denon is plugged into a Monster HTS-3500. The Monster is plugged directly into a wall outlet. My system is dead quiet on all sources except for the turntable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Is there only one tube for both channels and is the hum coming from both channels ? I would be more than glad to test your tubes for you if you "flip to ship" Although finding someone local would be Ideal.

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 06-19-2002 at 11:25 AM

Remember those old tube testers they used to have at the local hardware stores???? A big old console with various sockets for a variety of tubes.

750.jpg

Too bad they're not still around.

Your post resurfaced good memories of my dad and I going down to the hardware store on Saturday mornings. He'd be shopping around for nuts and bolts, and I usually had free reign, as long as I didn't cause too much trouble. I used to make a bee line over to the tube tester and play around with that thing, even before I knew what it actually did.

Hmmmm, did I just date myself?? cwm36.gif Nonethless, thanks for the good memories...

C

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 06-19-2002 at 12:57 PM

Mike,

It could be a number of things. One possibility is a bad (leaking) filter capacitor in the power supply (filters out the hum). If one or more stage is leaking, that baby WILL hum. Honestly, since this is a modern component, I would be a little surprised the caps would be leaking so soon. BTW, the above problem is a VERY common cause for hum in antique radios and is an easy fix (good tip for future radio projects).

It could also be a ground problem. Is the turntable properly grounded? Also, do you get hum from the Denon phono stage? If you do, I would start suspecting the cartridge and its connections.

Another possiblity is hum being picked from a nearby appliance or a bad dimmer switch (bad culprit for AM hum). The 110V AC could be dirty too. A line conditioner would probably help here.

La Scalas, as you know, are very sensitive and will reproduce any noise that less sensitive speakers would not (remember that 104 1m/1W stat?). A super low noise floor is very important with super sensitive speakers.

If the AES component is isolated as the source of the problem, I would probably contact the company.

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 06-19-2002 at 12:31 PM

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Andy - The TT is grounded to the AES but I have also tried grounding it to the Denon. No difference there. There is no hum when the TT was connected directly to the Denon phono input.

I do have a line conditioner (Monster HTS-3500) but the power cord from the AES won't reach there. It is plugged directly into the wall outlet...

Mike

Do not plug the TT into the Denon. Plug it into the wall or the Monster Mess. As a matter of practice, never use the outlets in the back of your receivers for a variety of reasons.

The hum is more than likely a grounding issue or RFI problems in the AES. In addition to moving the TT power source, try putting some RFI blockers on the IC and the ground wire.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-19-2002 at 12:57 PM

Thanks everybody! I found out the ground had come off the receiver. I reconnected it to the AES and it is mucho better. cwm35.gif I also unplugged the TT from the receiver and have it plugged directly to the wall outlet.

I would still like to know of a place to get some tubes tested. Is there a place to buy a decent one at a decent price?

Thanks,

Mike

Wow, Colin. I used to do the same thing at Berger's Hardware Store in Hawthorne, NY on Saturday mornings. My Dad would take a bag of tubes down there to test, from the TV and our old Heathkit mono amp (which he built - wish he still had it). I remember pushing the old "test" button and watching the dial swing. Had not a CLUE what it was all about -- still don't cwm2.gif

Doug

------------------

My System

Mike,

Just out of curiousity, I pulled out my (old fashioned hard copy bound version) yellow pages, looked under TV Repair, and called a couple of places. Found a guy in an old, beat up looking TV Repair / Check Cashing / Appliance Repair shop who still has, and occationally uses, a tube tester.

Whether it actually generates any *ACCURATE* data on the state of a tube is a question I'd have, but he does have one.

Also, I'd check with the highest of the high end shops in your area that have decent in-house repair facilities. One would hope at least ONE of them would be able to test tubes...

Might give that a try?

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Mike,

Ditto to what Ray said. Check the yellow pages under electronic repair shops (or something similar). I found a couple here who have tube testers.

I also have a local audio dealer who sells some tube gear and they have a tube tester also.

Between the two possibilities you should be able to get your tubes tested.

EDIT: OOps I see I posted a bit too late...usually I am premature!

This message has been edited by edster00 on 06-19-2002 at 03:13 PM

Lordy, Mike... you never went into a place because they didnt sell Klipsch? For me, it was the exact opposite: I usually wouldnt go into a place that SOLD Klipsch! heh...

You might have to count me as the least fanatical Klipsch owner in this entire forum as I really dont share a love for the brand across the board.

Klipsch has been carried by some pretty sorry HIFI huts over the last 25 years or so. I have to admit, I was pretty damn prejudiced against most Klipsch speakers until I heard them will tube amplification. I did like the Klipschorn and the Heritage speakers... I had heard Khorns in the 70s on Linn SS of all things. They sounded amazingly big then but even through the Linn seemed a bit hot.

Klipsch really sought appeal from the midfi market and it showed. Of course, I am probably going to be tarred and feathered, heh..

As for the tube tester, this is a potential hole like a never ending well. Glad I am not going through it again. I might drop you a mail on what to look for and what to avoid.

kh

CD Player Rega Planet

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-20-2002 at 07:56 AM

Andy - Thanks for the heads up.

Mobile - I fell in love with Klipsch speakers in 1979, while serving in the USAF in Northern Germany. It was there I heard Klipsch speakers for the first time. I was doing a TDY down in Ramstein and went into their local BX. They had a pair of La Scala's hooked up to some McIntosh separates (SS) and they sounded incredible! Of course all they had at that time was the Heritage series and I knew one day I would own a pair.

Like you, I am not a big fan of the newer stuff that has come out. I have heard the KLF-30's hooked up to my rig and much prefer the Chorus's that I currently own. I have also heard the RF-7's (in the store only), and while I prefer them to the KLF-30's, I still like my Chorus's better. I have also owned the CF-2's which were from the short lived Epic line. I liked them alot but again, not as much as the Chorus's.

The Chorus is a very similar speaker to the Cornwall II. It has the same mid and tweeter drivers but in a slightly smaller box. Thus giving the Cornwall the edge in lower frequency extension by about 6 to 8hz. But I have to tell you, after hearing the Cornwall and a La Scala hooked up to Colin's Paramours, it was a no-brainer for me. The La Scala was a much more dynamic speaker, and more lifelike and effortless in the mids. The Cornwall could definitely go lower, but I preferred the bass from the La Scala as it was cleaner sounding to me.

Anyway, after getting my TT problems worked out, I can't believe how good vinyl sounds on my system. It's not ideal at the moment (Denon receiver) but with the right album (and I only have a few of good quality recordings) it just blows away my CD's. If you have Heart's "Dreamboat Annie" on vinyl, I beg you to play it and give me your thoughts. Magic Man sounds unbelievable!!

Mike

Edit: Mobile, please shoot me an Email regarding the tube testers. I will definitely need to own one some day...

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 06-20-2002 at 07:51 AM

You are right about that early Heart vinyl. That is just the kind of thing that waxes digital. If you can get over the cheesy cover of ole Dreamboat Annie then you are in for a treat. The sense of life and energy of those great cuts arrive DOA via the CD.

As for the Cornwall vs LaScala comparison, I think the CW does a lot better with more controlled tube amplification. Also, although there will be disagreement from other members on this board, the crossover and drivers are indeed different sounding in various CW. I really prefer the sound of the simpler Type B with the oils. More debate centers around the Alnico drivers vs the later models. Colin's CW employ later models.

Still, having a horn loaded bottom end has its advantages. I havent heard the LaScala in YEARS and even then, it was via solid state amplification. Indeed, I dont think I have ever heard it with tubes come to think of it. I would like to.

I think the CW really do react to the amplification and setup, however. I wish to hell you had gotten up here to hear my system. That was unfortunate. Maybe by next year you will have your whole 2 channel going and we can compare, at least vicariously.

kh

CD Player Rega Planet

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-20-2002 at 08:23 AM