KLF-30 vs K-Horns

MagnumMan

I just got a set of KLF-30's. Looking at another pair. But have the chance of getting a pair of K-Horns.

I got a lot of good responses from all you on my post about what amp to use. My question is now will the 200 WPC amp be too much for the K-Horns. According to the specs,they are rated at 100 watts maximum continuous and 400 peak. Where as the KLF-30's are 200 watts maximum continuous.

I am ready to buy the amp but want to make sure.

Also,what are your opinions of having the K-Horns up front with the 30's in back?

thanks a lot!

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KLF 30

Rears: KG 5.5

Center: KLF-C7

Subs: (2) Antique wooden coffins with (3) 12" Advents in each

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three

TV: Toshiba 42H81 42" Theaterwide

DVD: Toshiba 4109X

Laserdisc: Yamaha CDV-W901

5 CH Amp(for subs): Rotel RB-985

Single Cass Deck: HK TD-420

Dual Cass Deck: HK DC-520

This message has been edited by MagnumMan on 06-20-2002 at 04:43 AM

You'll need two corners for placement of those K-horns. If you have the corners then I would pickup the K-horns. Even though they use the same drivers as most of the Heritage line the lenses are huge creating more dispersion. I believe the horn lens on the squaker is almost 2 feet long. Much smaller on a Heresy. Most of the speaker is designed for the folded horn. The folded horn is simply an internal baffle that the driver fires into. K-horns are a collector's item too and will increase in value. The KLF-30 is a great speaker but not in the same league as the K-horn.

This message has been edited by trader on 06-20-2002 at 06:58 AM

I've owned them both. Bottom line is the K-horn is a much better speaker if you have GOOD SOLID corners. If you don't have corners, the KLF-30 is very good also but can be fussy on placement since the bass can be tubby at times or high end with some shrill.

As far as the amount of power, with either speaker unless you have a very large room, you won't need more than a GOOD 50 watts. And if you are looking at the KLF-30, make sure that the amp has a very high dampening factor.

Aside from that, both typically will rock the house with 10watts.

Peter Z.

thanks!!

KLF-30's have been going for around $1,200 on ebay

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

I would agree with Trader on the audio "character" difference between K-Horns and KLF-30's since I have different systems that feature both. If I had to make a choice... it would be easy... K-Horns have the cubic inches and fully horn-loaded bass... weighing in at over 170 lbs., the Klipschorn is the undefeated Heavyweight Champion of the Klipsch World... and beyond.

Here's my reply to Trader's recent PM (that may have not reached him... and so is repeated here):

Most folks think of my HT rig which has six KLF-30's (featuring one as a horizontal center), a pair of KLF-C7's as Front Effects and a 7' dual SVS Ultra sub tower.

But, I also have a music system that gives me an extra dimension of advice in your case. I have a pair of Cornwalls that I use as surrounds on my music system. The center is a Belle... and the mains are recent vintage mighty Klipschorns.

There is no doubt that Klipschorns are the hands down performance winner over all other Klipsch speakers whether designed by PWK or not! Fully horn loaded bass provides an audio treat that stands apart from any speaker anywhere close to its price range.

The late Paul Klipsch designed the Klipschorn to cover the essential range of classical music and added a Belle for a center channel as a WAF consideration.

The Cornwall was an attempt to create a speaker that would have similar character to the K-Horn without the size and expense of a fully horn loaded cabinet. But, there is no doubt as to which has the far better sound... pick up the K-Horns and you will never look back.

Actually, by adding the K-Horns you have the potential for a great 6.0 multi-channel music and HT system. K-Horns for mains, a Cornwall for the center (better than Heresy for HT) and Heresys for side/surrounds and rear effects.

You could go to 7.0 by using the Cornwalls for surrounds and the Heresys for center and dual rear effects. Try it both ways.

In my HT system, I scaled back from 7.1 using a pair of KLF-10's as rear effects to 6.1 using a single KLF-30... which was far better IMHO.

The heat strip on the baseboard is a potential problem both in making a tight seal with the wall required to give the K-Horns their spectacular power and efficiency (the folded horn effect extends beyond the bass bins to using four lateral feet of wall on each side... making your walls an integral part of the design)... and in the destructive effect the heat may have upon some superb drivers and cabinetry.

Two options are: have the heat strip cut down to allow four feet from the corner in each direction for the K-Horn... or build "false corners" (you can search on the Forum to find PWK's plans) as PWK did in his own home.

Of course, particularly for HT use, I would add an SVS Ultra subwoofer and some bass management... or perhaps a new SVS PCi with the BASH amp inside. Not only does will that supply a missing ingredient to full-out HT... but will seamlessly provide any bass not provided by any of your speakers. K-Horns go down to about 35Hz... and I prefer a ubiquitous bass environment that goes at least 20Hz with over 110dB in SPL potential.

Most people do not realize it, but the low end of human hearing is non-directional... so people associate the those low sounds with their associated sounds in the directional frequencies... thus, it "seems" like the low sounds are coming from the appropriate directional speaker. A bit weird, perhaps, but, oh, so wonderful!!!

Go get 'em! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

Thanks again everyone and HornEd!

It's a wait & see situation. I can spare about $1200-$1500 for a pair. Which pretty much gurantees a set of 30's. But the K-Horns will be a bit more. I am going on vacation overseas next month so have to watch the spending at the moment. I did get my Rotel RMB 1095 ordered other day.

Question I am still asking is: I know that Klipsch can take more than what they are rated,but will it be ok to use the 200 WPC amp with the Heritage line?

Plan on trying biwire approach. Never new much about it. I always assumed you needed a crossover to hook up that way. I read in another thread that it's not that. I just got new terminal plugs and 8 AWG wire for speakers. Makes a difference already.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

This message has been edited by MagnumMan on 06-22-2002 at 04:03 AM

For $1200 - $1500, you could find a pair of Chorus AND Forte's for that price. Both of them being better than the KLF-30's in my opinion. And that's not knocking the 30's. You could also get a really nice pair of La Scala's. I just paid $860 for mine and am paying to have them refinished. The La Scala has all the same drivers and horns as the Khorn. The only difference, besides the cosmetics, is the Khorn goes another 10hz deeper.

If you read my thread on picking up the La Scala's last weekend, you will see we did an A/B comparison with Colin's Cornwall versus my La Scala on a pair of 3.5w Bottlehead Paramours. I think all of us were in agreement that the La Scala was more dynamic, lifelike and cleaner sounding than the Cornwall. You have lots of options with that kind of money so take your time in making your decision...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

As much as I'd like to get Heritage, I am getting a second pair of 30's. Since I just got the first pair last month,I didn't want to start over again. I decided on a complete Legend set-up. Thanks for all the input and advice! I will still plan on getting Heritage in the future.

HornEd-I was just wondering what the dimensions are on your custom KLF-30 Center? I have a big opening in my entertainment center and might consider doing the same if possible. Pic shows the middle of the system.

Thanks!

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

congrats on the 30's, i love mine. i'd highly recommend turning a klf 20 or 30 into a HornED-zontilised center ch.,i'm going to use a 20, the drivers are the same for tweets and mids as the 30's, and i will have to modify my tv stand to make even a 20 fit. the c-7 is nice, but it is not, nor does it 'sound like' a klf-20/30.

the picture I WANT TO SEE is the 2 antique coffin subs!! that's a FIRST for me. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture