Rf-7 ,Rc 64,Rs-62 Full Range

ryder

My friend bought rf 7 set when we use onkyo Audyssey onkyo set Rf 7 40 hz ,Rc 64 40 hz and rs 62 50 hz ..

My question is if we use Rf 7,rc 64 and rs 62 full range any problem or can u advise me any setting about them

What Onkyo receiver is your friend using? If it is one of the upper models, ex. 3008, 5008, there should not be any problems at all. The power supplies in those AVR's are pretty potent. If a mid level Onkyo, it might be better to change the speakers to small and raise the crossover settings to maybe 60Hz or higher. The only speakers in my setup I have set to full range are my RF-63's with the crossover at 60Hz, the rest are set to small and 80Hz. I am also using 200w/ch amps on all channels.

Even if the receiver has the guts to handle all speakers at full range, it may just sound better for all speakers to be set to small. Try different configurations and see(hear) what sounds best.

Bill

I went through a lot of issues with my RF-7 and Onkyo Audyssey set up. Audyssey wants the crossover set to 80Hz to the sub. The Onkyo was resetting it to 40.

So the Audyssey processing was thinking 80Hz and the receiver at 40Hz. It sounded awful. Resetting it manually to 80 fixed it.

so what u advise for rf 7 and and rc 64 full band and rs 62 50 hz or

i generally demoed in my room at referance levels

It's obvious that shortage of horsepower will not be an issue so subwoofer integration with speakers set to large may or may not present a problem. Try the suggestions as mentioned earlier and see what you get. Audyssey XT32 is the top dog in auto EQ so if it sets them to large and your friend likes the results, just go with the flow.

Bill

Bill...I think it's about time you took your own advice and actually run Audessy on your setup. Lol

Michael.

What's the bible say about "keeping a record of wrongs"?[;)]

My setup sounds great right out of the blocks, but I know it could sound even better after I run Audyssey MultEQ XT.

Bill

Setting the speakers full range can lead to cancellation issues between the mains and sub. It can also lead to overlap of certain frequencies between the sub and mains and result in boomy bass. If you are using Audyssey Multi EQ, the sub has 8x the filter resolution than the other speakers, and in most case should have superior bass. If using bass management, the speakers should be set to small. I run all my speakers as small. Setting the speakers as small has nothing to do with the size of the speakers.

Bill...I think it's about time you took your own advice and actually run Audessy on your setup. Lol

Just did, about 30 minutes ago. My NAD T175HD pre/pro has Audyssey MultEQ XT(Audyssey Pro compatible) and I ran it from 3 positions. Funny how it sets the speakers. RF-63's-----large, RC-64-----small 50Hz, RS-35's-----small 80Hz. Those are the exact settings I used before calibration. The speaker volumes are way different from my settings. It measured the fronts at 12ft, surrounds at 8ft and 9ft, which were my measurements, but the center and subwoofers at 0ft. Kind of odd.

Even with the somewhat odd calculations, the overrall sound quality is clearly more balanced and precise. What I do like about the NAD pre/pro's implementaion of Audyssey, is the choice of 3 target curves(Audyssey, Flat, NAD) or my own manual settings. The NAD target curve sounds best to me with a punchier midbass/upper bass and less rolloff and more detailed treble.

Thanks Michael for calling me out on my procrastination, I guess I just needed the extra push.[;)]

Bill

This is a nice read on what Audyssey recommend for HT and why.

http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/

One of the things that I have wondered about with variable or low xo's for HT is truncation of the LFE. For example, setting the center channel or surrounds to 40 Hz. Is the LFE info in movies is being thrown away. I know THX select 80 Hz because there is not much info in the .1 channel between 80-120 Hz. In this senario, the sub is getting stuff below 40, should it at least get what THX with a 4th xo of 80 deliver. There seems to be a hole from 40 -120 Hz.