Next Gen to Replace RF-7 II ?

norcuron

Thanks Carl. I guess that my point is if you want to maintain spatial cohearency you want to keep the drivers (woofers) opreating in pistonic mode so they will radiate more or less omni directional. Leave the horn so do the controlled (directional) stuff for you they do that far better because that is what they were designed to do. Best regards Moray James.

I suppose there would be improvement with this type of network as this would to some degree lessen the interaction between the horn and the woofer. I would expect that the majority of the interference will be between the woofer nearest to the horn. More complex crossovrers usually come with a price and the only way to know for sure would be to have a listen.

You can do a simple experiment to see how this complex interaction affects your speakers. You can easily make an acoustical filter by means of a felt overlay covering the woofers. Or you might try building a two inch high divider placed horizontally between the top woofer and the horn. This ought to catch most of the upper frequencies being generated by the woofer from interacting with the horn. Best material for this is S.A.E. rated F-11 acoustical felt 1/8 inch thick and the worst to use is synthetic like craft felt which is almost always acrylic. A piece of high density 1/2 inch thick fiberglass would also work as a horizontal divider. If you make a suitably sized blanket and tape it in place over the two woofers you will be able to hear what the interaction I am talking about sounds like. Don't worry about the felt impacting the woofer at lower frequencies it will not do that as it is transparent at lower frequencies but it will catch the highs. I have used this technique on a good number of loudspeakers over the years with very good results. Presently my Heresy 3 and my KLF20 are treated in this fashion. This is just one of the many very useful things you can do with this amazing product. F-11 acoustial felt is also very usefull for damping reflections on baffles as well. Hope that this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

PS: I have included a photo of my Heresy 3. Due to the flash you can easily see the F-11 felt used as a woofer overlay and also around the horns.

post-46582-13819831242962_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the good wishes I will have to tough this out till surgery in the end of May then a few weeks more past that. Total Rt. hip replacement. long past due. Best regards Moray James.

A speedy recovery to you then. I've been around several people who've had that done. Rehab is tough but they're all glad they've had it replaced after it's all over. I think the only thing worse is having a knee replaced.

Carl

• Moderators

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has heard what may replace the RF-7 version II and when? They have been out a few years now and I would think something new is around the corner. I love my RF-7 First Generation but still like to think about the future. Thanks for info.

Nothing I'm aware of yet