recapping khorn advice

sasqwatch

i was fortionate to buy a pair of 1988 khorns they sound good but lack the WOW factor i know they are cappable of after having mr crites rebuild my cornwall II crossovers the difference was wonderful when i got my bellas they sounded nice but new crites A4500 crossovers made a big difference so im pretty positive the khorns are in need of recapping my question is would the khorns sound the same no matter what brand of cap or is there a signiffacant difference from one to another i read a post in witch thebes mentioned russian capps are capps like tubes as in effecting sound thanks for any advice. im adding a couple pics for any klipschaholics like me my friends are threatining an intrvention lol stacy

post-58260-13819831501602_thumb.jpg

I am a person that can hear differences between capacitors. I like paper in oils in the simple and early crossovers. They are expensive, but like many things expensive, are usually worth it. My position is that since you are probably only going to do it once, why not do it right? Also keep in mind that the earliest capacitors that PWK put in his crossovers were paper in oil. So if you want to restore the speakers to their original voicing, that is probably the way to go. This is a difficult sell here, where most everyone has been persuaded that everything sounds pretty much the same, so you might as well spend as little as possible and be happy. What I find interesting is that the only baseline most have is the old worn out crossovers they were listening to. Some will say I want to hear a difference so I do. I would say they don't want to hear a difference so they don't. Now, with all of that out of the way, you've been happy with your previous purchases from Bob, so why not continue on? However, I for one would like to see people invest at least as much in their crossovers as they do some of their other components. I mean -- everything goes through the filter first, and I mean everything.

EDIT: my eyes are terrible, I could have sworn I saw 1958 Klipschorns in the original post. With 1988 Klipschorns you actually have several options open to you, the least of which is capacitor choice! I will say that if you stay with the stock crossovers, the Auricap XO will provide the best sound.

Stacy,

Congrats on you Khorn score. They are beauties. I think the grill cloth is exceptional. It's not cane, though, is it? Don't see very many with that fabric.

thanks daddy dee yes I'm pretty sure they are cane they feel like a piece of cane that has been split then wove into the cloth ill post a better pic tomorrow or later tonight hopefully you can see better and verify for sure . Stacy

I am a person that can hear differences between capacitors. I like paper in oils in the simple and early crossovers. They are expensive, but like many things expensive, are usually worth it. My position is that since you are probably only going to do it once, why not do it right? Also keep in mind that the earliest capacitors that PWK put in his crossovers were paper in oil. So if you want to restore the speakers to their original voicing, that is probably the way to go. This is a difficult sell here, where most everyone has been persuaded that everything sounds pretty much the same, so you might as well spend as little as possible and be happy. What I find interesting is that the only baseline most have is the old worn out crossovers they were listening to. Some will say I want to hear a difference so I do. I would say they don't want to hear a difference so they don't. Now, with all of that out of the way, you've been happy with your previous purchases from Bob, so why not continue on? However, I for one would like to see people invest at least as much in their crossovers as they do some of their other components. I mean -- everything goes through the filter first, and I mean everything.

EDIT: my eyes are terrible, I could have sworn I saw 1958 Klipschorns in the original post. With 1988 Klipschorns you actually have several options open to you, the least of which is capacitor choice! I will say that if you stay with the stock crossovers, the Auricap XO will provide the best sound.

Dean you have a pm

on caps, i can't offer any technical advice. whatever you use, if you liked the 45oo mod on your type A's, that is something to consider, rolling off that K55 on the top end.

I've used that type A4500 crossover in LaScalas and Khorns with pleasing results.

Here is the rare bird that actually prefers the K77 over Bob's tweeters and the A4500 crossover. Stacy says it's basically too much of a good thing. I'm going to make some L-pads for his Belles and knock a couple of dB off the tweeters. If that doesn't work, he plans on putting the stock tweeters back in. Bob told me something interesting about the stock tweeters that I didn't know and it explains why sometimes we get different reports about his tweeters, but I'll leave that for Bob to talk about if he wants. Meanwhile, Stacy is going to be the first to try the new network based off of PWK's patent for the LB-76. You can follow the build on my business Facebook page. You all need to get out there anyways and at least poke me in the eye with a stick or something. Man, I create this perfect opportunity for you all to kick me around and you don't even bother to show up!

I'd love to post here about stuff, but I don't always know what I'm allowed to post about and what I'm not. In the old days everyone liked seeing what some of us were up to, but now people are more concerned with whether or not we're self-promoting or soliciting. The irony here is that I'm less worried about Klipsch than I am forum members that seem to have a real low tolerance for someone who builds crossovers talking about crossovers. That's why I put the Facebook page up -- I can say whatever I want. BTW, if anyone wants another way of reaching and talking with Al, he visits my page every day or two just to annoy me. Seriously though, I have no problem with people or Al using my page to talk to Al about his stuff -- reasons for that will become clear soon enough!

Dean, sounds good. Hope you will post here, too. The LB-76 is a really interesting speaker. Pretty cool using Mr. Paul's crossover that seems to be a real sleeper.

daddy dee I am planning on posting the feed back of this crossover if Dean does not feel comfortable posting it here.as long as he is ok with it here I'm sure you will get a much better technical review from him here or on his face book page Stacy

Here is the rare bird that actually prefers the K77 over Bob's tweeters and the A4500 crossover. Stacy says it's basically too much of a good thing. I'm going to make some L-pads for his Belles and knock a couple of dB off the tweeters. If that doesn't work, he plans on putting the stock tweeters back in. Bob told me something interesting about the stock tweeters that I didn't know and it explains why sometimes we get different reports about his tweeters, but I'll leave that for Bob to talk about if he wants. Meanwhile, Stacy is going to be the first to try the new network based off of PWK's patent for the LB-76. You can follow the build on my business Facebook page. You all need to get out there anyways and at least poke me in the eye with a stick or something. Man, I create this perfect opportunity for you all to kick me around and you don't even bother to show up!

Dean, In case you missed my question on Facebook, I'll post it here. You had mentioned to me once in an e-mail that you considered the V-Cap Oimp Capacitors to be the very best in Crossovers. Is that still your opinion? Have you ever tried the Mudorfs?

Did I miss it? I thought I answered it. There was another person that asked a similar question. V-cap OIMP is a great product. I can't fault it on any level except price. I'm to the point where I think these vendors have lost their minds with the pricing. You can get true film types now for the prices that are being asked for some metallized brands, and that's a bit upside down. Yesterday was a very rough day for me dealing with vendors/suppliers. The only stable supplier I have is Jensen. Some things that I would like to try, I can't try because while advertised, they are not really available - some Mundorfs fall into that category.

Did I miss it? I thought I answered it. There was another person that asked a similar question. V-cap OIMP is a great product. I can't fault it on any level except price. I'm to the point where I think these vendors have lost their minds with the pricing. You can get true film types now for the prices that are being asked for some metallized brands, and that's a bit upside down. Yesterday was a very rough day for me dealing with vendors/suppliers. The only stable supplier I have is Jensen. Some things that I would like to try, I can't try because while advertised, they are not really available - some Mundorfs fall into that category.

Well, I guess I missed your answer.....Thanks

Where could I buy the Jensen Caps?