Onkyo PR SC5509

wstrickland1

I just put this unit in my system, went from a tx sr806 (sometimes) and sometimes a b&k ref 50. Anyway I have the USB wireless adapter for onkyo and have tried everything possible to get it to link up. Does anyone have this unit or one similar and if so have you run in to this problem?

Thanks

I just put this unit in my system, went from a tx sr806 (sometimes) and sometimes a b&k ref 50. Anyway I have the USB wireless adapter for onkyo and have tried everything possible to get it to link up. Does anyone have this unit or one similar and if so have you run in to this problem?

Thanks

which one, this one

http://www.onkyo.ca/model.cfm?m=UWF-1&class=Accessory&p=i

I have one and it works pefect.

Onyko has a couple of different products depending on the year of your unit.

yeah it is the UWF-1. I just kept trying and finally got it connected this morning. It works great but I am going to hard wire eventually. There is a little buffering here and there but not too bad.

On another note, the processor is a significant improvement over what I had been using in terms of sound quality. There seems to be better seperation and clarity. Today I'm going to run the XT 32 and see how that works. I've never used room correction so I'm looking forward to seeing what that will do. Right now I just have the levels set with my radio shack sound meter and it's great.

On another note, the processor is a significant improvement over what I had been using in terms of sound quality. There seems to be better seperation and clarity. Today I'm going to run the XT 32 and see how that works. I've never used room correction so I'm looking forward to seeing what that will do. Right now I just have the levels set with my radio shack sound meter and it's great.

Your'e gonna love it even more after calibration. Make sure to do alll 8 mic positions for best results then set speakers level to match with the shack meter.

yeah it is the UWF-1. I just kept trying and finally got it connected this morning. It works great but I am going to hard wire eventually. There is a little buffering here and there but not too bad.

I managed to access my laptop on my home network from my NR818 which I thought was cool, eliminates

streaming. You don't get PC type menus but it works well.You are supposed to be able to access audio and video

files but I could only open audio files. Kind of like pull instead of push.

I just looked at the avr again.

In the main setup menu, go to harware setup, then intial setup function and in that

is a network setup function, if you haven't done that try it.

it asked wired or wireless and a few other defaults. then finds the network.

assuming your menus are about the same as my 818

The Ipod/Ipad app makes a cool little remote. What I like about is being able to set up zone 2 outside and using that as the remote. Not only is it on the network so no extenders are needed, you can see right on the ipod (or iphone/ipad, whatever) what you are choosing, be it on XM, Pandora, Slacker, etc. It even allows you to play what's stored on the ipod. Cool as heck, SO perfect for remote zones.

doesn't it set the levels automatically?

Yes, but I checked anyways with my SPL meter at the mlp and made a few adjustments in the trim levels.

I had to set up the multi channel analog for my OPPO with a meter so I figured I might as well check the Audyssey settings while I had the meter set up.

Glad you're liking the 5509 and discovering all the features it offers......I love my 5508!!!

Yes. The Oppo is connected to the XLR balanced stereo inputs on the Onkyo. I also have the multi channel analog outs connected to the Onkyo as well as HDMI. I can toggle between the 3 on the Onkyo remote for the source I'm lstening or watching.

You need to assign an input on the Onkyo. I chose TV/CD for multi channel analog and Phono for balanced stereo. Blu-ray is assigned to HDMI

Is there a substantial difference between the stereo balanced and the others, ie if you had to do it over again would you get the 105 again over the 103?

On another note, my B&K Ref 200.7 has alaway had a hum when idle no matter what cable I used (unbalanced) I finally got a set of XLR cables and put them in and it is dead silent for the first time in 7 years.

Is there a substantial difference between the stereo balanced and the others, ie if you had to do it over again would you get the 105 again over the 103?

It all depends on the source material and how it's formatted. Some things sound better on multi-channel while others are best in stereo.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 105 again. But if you're not going to take advantage of the DAC's in the 105, save some money and get the 103.

I didn't ask that right. I meant do you think using the DAC's in the 105 (especially in 2-channel) are significantly better than what you get by letting the Onkyo do the conversion. I take it from your response that you do, just wondering how much of an improvement there really is. I am considering the 105 so I can use the stereo balanced inputs. This seems to be a great solution to having great HT and 2 channel from the same system.

I didn't ask that right. I meant do you think using the DAC's in the 105 (especially in 2-channel) are significantly better than what you get by letting the Onkyo do the conversion. I take it from your response that you do, just wondering how much of an improvement there really is.

One of the reasons I got the 105 was to expand my musical horizons. Being that I had never had my system set up for 2 channel, I can't give you an opinion / comparison of any validity. I can say tho that if you want HT and 2 channel from the same system, imho the 105 is worth every penny........

Here's a good thread for the 105 in regards to the audio features and benefits. Hope this helps.

link