sae p102 pre amp

sasqwatch

Ive got an opportunity to buy a sae p102 pre amp and a t 102 tuner new in box I'm not familiar with either they both say computer direct on the box's can anyone explain what the means and a fair price to pay if I would buy them thanks for your input

I would be a little leary of "new in box" as the company went out of business in 1992 and the Computer Direct Line went out of production in the late 80's. The company is Scientific Audio Electronics (SAE). They were in Montebello CA and run by Morris Kessler. The company was bought by DAK and went under. Morris has a new company in the same building called Amplifier Technology Inc (ATI). I run a full rack of SAE the 102 series in my office at work.You can find a lot of info online and search closed auction on Ebay for what the market is.

Sasqwatch, Mr. Wardsweb is one of the leading authorities on all things SAE, his advice is always worth listening to. I too would be leery about 20+ year old "new" stock. Before I put down my hard earned money I would take them for a test drive. I still haven't decided if I will restore my own SAE 01 series or put it out for the bid.

• 7 years later...

The SAE P102 has a feature in common with some REVOX tuners. When switching inputs to the preamp section , it ramps up the input voltage slowly so that you don’t accidentally Blow out your speakers, by feeding your Power amps too high a output level. Not aware of many preamps still implementing that today at that price level.