Newbie needs help with speakers

Sid369

Go with the rc-62 over the 52 for sure. I've had both and the 52 is extremely weak in comparison as youth has said. Also if you can go used even if you gotta take a Saturday to drive somewhere a few hours away it can be worth it. I got some mint rf-82's for 200$. I got mint rf-62, rc-62, in my living room now for 400$ and the rs-52 to complete that 5.1 setup brand new in the box for 300$ in Boston and the guy shipped em for 40$! also payed 450$ for a 1 month old 1800$ rt-10d sub from a forum member. So all in all got like a 3500$ living room home theater from forum members in MINT shape for like 1200$

Go with the rc-62 over the 52 for sure. I've had both and the 52 is extremely weak in comparison as youth has said. Also if you can go used even if you gotta take a Saturday to drive somewhere a few hours away it can be worth it. I got some mint rf-82's for 200$. I got mint rf-62, rc-62, in my living room now for 400$ and the rs-52 to complete that 5.1 setup brand new in the box for 300$ in Boston and the guy shipped em for 40$! also payed 450$ for a 1 month old 1800$ rt-10d sub from a forum member. So all in all got like a 3500$ living room home theater from forum members in MINT shape for like 1200$

That's great deal and i don't mind buying used or even driving a little to get something like that. Since nothing is available used around my area. Should I look into B stock and does acoustic sound design sell B stock RF62ii?

Also, I saw the surround speakers yesterday at the store but don't remember the model no. The speakers were on the wall, I don't think my wife will let me do that in teh fmaily room. So what can i use as surround speakers which can be on stand or a side coffee table.

Also, if I can convince my wife to wall mount, my speaker prewires will be at the bottom of the wall, how will I get the speakers to hand and connect to the outlet down below.

Does it make sense whatI am trying to ask here?

Well you sound like you are in a big hurry. Most of us are saying used will save you lots of money. Like for instance my story I told you. Buying new b stock is not gonna save you a ton. In fact most advertised b stock prices are the same prices acoustic sound design will give you for new a stock if you call them. So if you are in a big hurry then I suggest acoustic sound design and ask for mike. Also as for surround speakers most of us prefer the RS series speakers in a 5.1 setup and mount them on your sides slightly above ear level either directly beside or slightly behind the listening position. Any of their speakers can sit on stands. I had the rs-62's sitting on coffee tables for a while and that worked just fine. So it's really up to you.

You've received some really good advice here so far. A couple things I'll repeat/add. If you can wait a little while, watching the local CL, audiogon, and the garage sale forum here can score you some great deals on very nice used speakers. If you're in a hurry though, this route may not work as it could take a while. I have CF3s that I bought in excellent condition used, but that is the only pair of either CF3s or CF4s that have popped up within about 300 miles over the last several months. So, it does take some time. That said, in my opinion, it's worth the wait as you can likely get much better speakers for the same or better price than what you'd spend new.

The RF62 or 82s are fine speakers though. I used to own the whole RF62 system and it worked well for me. If you go that route, definitely get the RC62 center as it is the matching center for both the 62 and 82 sets.

Finally (and I know we're on the Klipsch forum), but if at the end of the day you keep feeling that the Polks are the better speakers for you, then that is what you should buy...otherwise, you'll always wonder "what if". Each of us hear things in a different way and if you enjoy those more than the Klipsch than I'd encourage you to go that route. (After first trying to correct for room/receiver/etc issues). If you can find a forum member that is local, definitely go over for a listen. I've met several members (including scrappy) and it was a pleasure every time.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks all great advice.

I did not mean to sound that i am in a hurry to buy the speakers. I have until july so basically 3 months for the fron L/R and the rest I can slowly start to add.

If you guys know any forum member from Delaware or Philadelphia area and I could go and listen to their set u pit would be great.

And yes, if I feel like listening to the klipsch that I am not getting that sound then I amy go the polk route.

But, againa a set up at home might turn out different.

Why do people say that klipsch horn sound harsh?

The RS speakers look nice on the wall with the wires hidden. Stand takeup floor space. That is why a lot of us use floor standing speakers in our setup. Here is a pic of one of the surrounds around 10 ft. off the ground. I know it is recommend to be a lot lower but, I prefer them up high. It has better WAF than lower on the wall.

Yes, the RC 64 does a good job anchoring the dialogue to the TV. Dialogue is achored so well, I have not given serious thought to changing the room around. Panning is also not a problen since things still move left to right or vice versa. All in all, it is a nice compromise since the family room opens to a formal living room on the other side of the tv and the rear of the room is open to a dinning area and Kitchen. That large Claymore, is for people that talk when I am watching TV and have to get midevil on their a#&, lol. I have a theater area down stair where things are set more along regular guidelines that I hardly use..

So explain to me how panning goes when something goes from L>C>R? I would think throw everything off having that bad boy to the side like that. I mean I'm sure dialog sounds fine since it is right under the tv but still the rest of your system is rotated like 25 degrees to the right. That doesn't throw everything off?

That is a good question.I am not sure i can give a good explanation but it just seems like thing that appear to come from the L/R side of the room are still presented that way Maybe it is the increase volume on one side of the room compared to the other side at that instant. In Xmen 1st class, the secen with the anchor/chain travels around the room. Over the last 17 or 18 years no one has every mention anything on speaker placement The three systems before this were similarly placed, That does not make it right or maybe I am so use to this setup type. Not a real major difference for me compared to the downstairs system.

Now you have me thinking about the setup. To move things around I will have to fix some walls and move some heavy furniture. I will do a little more critcal listening first with some movies before I decide on wether to change things around.