Cornscala question?

Magnetmike,

I don't recall anyone posting about a Cornscala with PR. Doesn't mean they haven't. i miss plenty of things.

It would take some math to figure out what PR would be equivalent to the CS port. Probably some software out there that could compute it.

what are you thinking of for your design goals?

I have only known about this forum approx 3 months and have been facinated with all the info and different speaker mods and builds. Back in the early 70s I used to build speaker cabinets but nothing fancy. The only Klipsch speakers I have owned up till about 6 months ago were Heresy built in 1980. I recently upgraded them with Crites tweeters and changed the caps on the crossovers.. They sound fantastic but not enough for the room they are in. My listening room is 16x31 with a catherdal ceiling, kind of looks like inside of a barn with exposed beams. So I have decided to give it a shot and build a version of cornscala and i`ll probably buy all the parts from Bob Crites.. I was thinking of a Cornwall type cabinet with the possiblity of using a passive on the right and left side of the cabinet instead of ports. Thats my basic idea so far would appreciate any input on this... Thanks

sounds like a great room for music. definitely room for the cornscalas to breath and shine.

very cool to have refreshed the Heresy crossovers and added the CT125 tweeters. What do you think of the way the Heresy sounds at this point.

some folks have built cornscalas in a tower type cabinet configuration. the interior volume and port tunes the cab to the same frequency. That might be a positive in a room of that size.

Hopefully others will chime in here.

one thing about building cornscala to established measurements, ie. with a port, makes a great outcome predictable, since the configuration is tried and proven.

I totally love how the Heresy`s sound now but they just don`t move enough air for that size room.. Currently runing them with an older pioneer reciever but hopefully in the near future will be using an Accuphase P-300 amp with a Nakamichi 630 pre-amp/tuner I need to get them both refurbished if anyone can make a recomdation to where or whom to deal with on that. I bought them both new years ago back in the 80`s around the same time I bought the Heresy`s. I might add that Bob Crites was super nice to deal with and very helpful on the phone.

I did recently pick up a used pair of KG-4s that i`m gonna get diaphrams for the horn and caps for the crossovers they were made in 85 and I bought them from the original owner who happens to be a classical musician and conductor in Philly Pa they sound really good can`t wait to hear them after the upgrade. Gonna brace the cabinets make sure they are tight just like I did with the Heresy`s

Magnetmike,

Your interst in the Cornscala sounds very much like my journey into the Klipsch world of craziness. I have a pair of 79 Heresy's and found this site and basically went mad for a least a year reading as much possible. Layed out plans for a pair of Cornscalas purchased a few drivers and then a pair of Forte II went up for sale within a reasonable drive. Look up the specs, they are basically a Heresy with a passive woofer. The sound is much more refined that the Heresy and cost less than the Cornscala. Now I don't want to discurage the Cornscala project but I have put my Cornscala project on hold due to the capabilities of the Forte II. I am playing them with a completely rebuilt Sansui AU717 in a 14 by 24 listening room and they not only fill the room but the whole house with sound.

I may have muddied the waters.

toolz

I totally love how the Heresy`s sound now but they just don`t move enough air for that size room..

Then you might consider building a horn loaded sub or two to augment the bottom end. The Heresy's will get plenty loud in that room but you need help below the 70 Hz region.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the input guys, but now I have gotten to listen to a pair of LaScala`s and how effortless they sound at higher listening levels compared to my Heresy`s and KG-4`s and I have been able to borrow a sub just to try it with both sets of speakers it sounds really good but still strained at highter volume levels so i`m gonna definately build Cornscala`s in the near future..... but I am still curious and hope to get some input about adding a passive or 2, to each cabinet. I will most likely build this as a 2 way system like Bob Crites but the horn will be in a seperate cabinet on top of the bass cabinet